Pump mounting

paul692

Market
Reaction score
Can you mount a pump upside down or inverted under a stand ? Will it wear out the bearings or impeller prematurely

paul692;953632 wrote: Can you mount a pump upside down or inverted under a stand ? Will it wear out the bearings or impeller prematurely

If you mount it upside down the water will flow backwards, :) just kidding. Seriously though, it should not be a problem. Everything should be fine.

So how is water going to get up to it? I'm assuming a sump is down in the stand and this is a return pump. Now if it's a closed loop circulation pump...no problem.

i wondered about that also so the pump wont suck water up that high out of the sump about 18 inches or so?

paul692;953649 wrote: i wondered about that also so the pump wont suck water up that high out of the sump about 18 inches or so?

Nope! As far as I know, there is not a self-priming pump in our hobby. They all have to get water to them before they can pump it and the last thing you want is a pump to go dry. It'll burn up in no time.

I guess I will drill the sump down low and put a fitting in there will this work? Any other suggestions out there? I want to keep the return pump out of the sump to free up some space.

paul692;953675 wrote: I guess I will drill the sump down low and put a fitting in there will this work? Any other suggestions out there? I want to keep the return pump out of the sump to free up some space.

That's the standard practice. I would recommend that you look at pictures of sumps before you decide where to cut the hole. The "fitting" is called a bulkhead and is generally the same size as the inlet of your pump.

I will put a ball valve after the bulkhead with unions if the pump leaks I will cut off the ball valve and put the pump back in the sump I need a 1inch bulkhead same size as the pump. I have a hole saw at various sizes at work I think.should be a no brainer I hope.i will drill as close as I can to the bottom of the sump.not to concerned with a leak

Just finished drilling my sump no leaks just waiting on my new quiet one pump to arrive.

Back