Pump Noise - Vinegar?

xilez

Market
Reaction score
My Eheim Compact 600 has been making a lot more noise ever since I started dosing, I'm wondering if there is some precipitate crusted inside of it.... is this something I can just soak in Vinegar a couple hours (if so, what type of vinegar), or do I need to try an take it apart to clean thoroughly?

Thanks!

That's the same pump I use for water changes. It's possible. Regular old white vinegar will work just fine - the cheaper, the better. You can take it apart to make it more simple. There's just a clip on either side the holds the front plate on, just be careful, they're kinda fragile.

Most pumps because something has gotten inside the impeller chamber or encrusted the magnet. You'll have to take it apart to clean it out.

Make sure the volute (face plate) isn't cracked. Not a known issue with Eheim but it sure is on Mag Drives. That will cause the impeller to rattle, and eventually, ruin the pump.

All pumps should be periodically cleaned and inspected and I advise where practical, to have a back up pump and/or parts. Pumps ONLY conk out at night or on weekends, when nothing is open. That's another of Murphy's Laws of Reefkeeping.

Jenn

Back