Pump not pumping - what's wrong?

hooked on salt

Market
Reaction score
I finally got around to setting up my 55 sump in my basement but now I can't get the pump to work. I have a used Iwaki WMD40RLXT and a Mak4 and can't get either of them to pump. What am I doing wrong?

How are you connecting them and how far are you trying to pump? I believe the Iwaki needs to be gravity fed for it to pump water back out. I'm not familiar with the other pump.

If both aren't working, that's a sign of the configuration being wrong rather than both pumps malfunctioning, although that isn't out of the realm of possibility...

Don't know about the Mak4, but I believe you are probably approaching the max head height on the Iwaki. Are they moving any water at all?

And I know this sounds like a stupid question, but all the valves are open, right?

I thought it might be the configuration too when neither of them worked. I have it set up so the pump is level with the top of the 55. The return line is about 10 feet to the tank upstairs. After the initial setup didn't work, I ran a line directly from each nozzle directly to the sump, kinda like a closed loop. I felt at the end of each line and didn't get suction at either end. I had the same results with both pumps.

Ok, another stupid question, is the output side of the pump the one that points up?

Yes, the outlet goes up, but these pumps can't suck water, they only pump it.

You need to have a hole near the bottom of the sump that connects to the pump. Or get a submersible one.

Hooked on Salt;310051 wrote: So it's a gravity feed to the pump? Is there an external pump that will work in my application?

Yes, but it'd cost you - they make pond pumps that have a auto-priming basket. The bigger question is - are you willing to chance your aquarium on it? Gravity never fails...

I don't know of any setup that I've ever seen (in the past 15 years) that doesn't use a gravity-fed pump for that kind of setup.

There is another way to run an external pump without having to drill the sump. I had a CL on my old 90g that was "primed" this way. Just be sure the intake is well below the water line, or a vortex is created that sucks in air and makes a LOT of noise. This link is to Melev's site where I got the idea. May work for you. Pay no attention to the SCWD or associated plumbing on the pump output. All you need is the plumbing to the input (on the end of the pump).

http://melevsreef.com/closedloop(old).html">http://melevsreef.com/closedloop(old).html</a>

If you ever break the siphon (like during a water change), you must take off the cap and refill the pvc or you will burn up your pump. Designed correctly, breaking the siphon will not happen under normal circumstances (power outage, turn off the pump, reef gnomes...)

Oh yeah, I found that gluing all the fittings (except the cap of course) worked best to keep any micro-bubbles out of the line

That's an option I might have to look at. Right now I'm in a time crunch and need to get water to my new 150. The critters aren't real happy in their temporary 55.

I went home at lunch and rigged up a quick test setup like Chymos45 suggested and it worked like a charm! I'm going to use this setup until I decide on a more permanent fix. Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

Jerry

You're not a reel reefer unless you have enough spare PVC lying around to MacGyver a flux-capacitor on your lunchbreak. Well done Jerry.

Back