Pump size for 90 Gallon

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
Guys it is slowly coming together and I am making last minute purchases. I need advise on the return pump I am going to use on my 90 gallon set up. The used tank came with one, and it is working but I do not know how long it has been in use, and really cannot even tell anything about it so I am going to replace it with a new one.

Any recommendations? The tank will have fish, live rock and various corals.

Alot depends on if you are just running a straight return, teeing off for reactors, or may tee off in the future, in sump or out of sump. Also what return gph your overflow can handle. I am running a sicce syncra 3.5 (660 gph/ ~580gph at 5' head) on my 92 corner, which has less gph than the 3 but less flow loss under head pressure. My overflow is 600 gph rated and I doubt I will ever tee off from the return. I like to have higher flow in tank and slower flow through the sump.

My sicce syncra 3.5 is very quiet, runs cool, adjustable flow, reasonably priced, and been very dependable. I would buy it again. If you are ever teeing off a 4 or 5 model would work great. Of course I love Eheim and some others as much as most others but it wasn't in the budget. Def keep the old pump as an emergency backup.

I was told a general rule for sizing a pump for a reef tank, is 10X the system volume.

That may be a reasonable starting point in a lot of cases. If I followed that rule I would have a pump moving 900+ gph and that would be great if I was teeing off from it. The pump would have to be throttled back or ball valved due to my overflow only being able to drain 600gph. If you had a 120g, for example, with 2 overflows and each drained 600gph (theoretical, I have no idea what they drain) the 10x would get you to 1200gph. If you wanted to tee off of it though you may want a bigger pump.

Thanks guys, I went with the Eheim Compact 5000. I hope it is not too much, but I really did not want to get too little. I honestly have no idea what the overflow capacity is, this could get interesting.

rk4435;879089 wrote: Thanks guys, I went with the Eheim Compact 5000. I hope it is not too much, but I really did not want to get too little. I honestly have no idea what the overflow capacity is, this could get interesting.

Make sure you plumb a ball valve in line so you can reduce the flow if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rk4435;879089 wrote: Thanks guys, I went with the Eheim Compact 5000. I hope it is not too much, but I really did not want to get too little. I honestly have no idea what the overflow capacity is, this could get interesting.

That's what I've got and so far I love it.

Great choice! Love Eheim pumps. +1 on the ball valve. That pump will give youq room to grow/play with in the future.

You guys got me again! I have no idea what a ball valve is. The return line basically looks like a radiator hose, I'm thinking I should replace it since I have no idea how old it is. Where is a good place online to purchase the new return line and the ball valve to regulate the flow? I suppose having it will make life easier if the protein skimmer throws a wrench into the flow once it is added.

As you can tell I am flying by the seat of my pants and figuring this all out from arc members. Just think, this all got started with a 29 bio cube last winter from a club member when I did not even know what the arc was.

I went to Lowes. They have better plumbing section then HD IMO. The two red handled PVC parts are ball valves. I have one on my drain side and the other on the return side. The ball valves help you isolate your system should you need to do anything.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
879298=46463-image.jpg
>
879298=46463-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I've heard it puts more strain on the pump to reduce the flow back to the tank, is that true or not?

HiImSean;879848 wrote: I've heard it puts more strain on the pump to reduce the flow back to the tank, is that true or not?

Not in my opinion.

Nsconductor;879875 wrote: Agree with Mustard Boy. Should not matter tot he pump.

What's a "Tot He Pump"? Hehehehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back