Pump suggestion

fener103

Market
Reaction score
I have a 60 tank with a 40 gallon sump that I will be tying together with a MRC 2 skimmer for my frag tank. I am looking for a pump suggestion to be able to feed the skimmer and be able to have good flow in the tank. Any suggestions as to what would be a good unit for this that is also half way energy efficient? Or would I be better off to use two pumps?

Do you mean 1 pump to run the skimmer in the sump AND produce flow in the tank?
If thats the case I would suggest 2 pumps...1 for skimmer and 1 for input to your tank that will create flow. Thats how im setup and it works good. Granted I only have a 30 Gal tank with a 10 gal sump and im using a Coralife skimmer and the pump that came with it...but it works and my fish are happy. I have a "Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 5 500 GPH Water Pump" that feeds into my tank and it ran me about $65. The pump for your skimmer will depand on the skimmer needs and if its a name brand it *should* usally have some sort of recommendation that comes with it from the manufacturer.
Sorry that didnt exactly answer your question but it might help in deciding what you want.

You can't use one pump for both purposes; it would be impossible to tweak.

You don't want to use your sump turnover to supply all the flow for the tank. I would suggest a small pump for the return (mag 5 or so). Add a couple of powerheads for flow.

The MR-2 will do best with a pressure rated pump (BL-55/PW-150).

Back