Pump to match overflow?

dkelly

Market
Reaction score
I'm going to plumb my 30g refugium (not drilled) into the sump of my 210g. I purchased an overflow from Aquabuys that is rated at 600gph max.

What's a good pump for the return from sump to 30g?

I was thinking about running the output of the UV sterilizer to the refugium. Would that work ok - assuming the pump rating matches?

i have a mag 9.5 running from my sump back to my tank. its an all glass overflow rated at 600gph and it seems to match pretty well. the only problem is that its an internal pump which does add some heat to your water.

I would just use a mag 5 or less as a return pump. You want to have less flow in your refugium.

I would use a Mag5 as well. Somewhere around 500-600gph is a good number to hit.

I have a CPR CS90 or 100 I cant remember, but thats between 600-800 gph and I have a MAG5 on my return wide open and it works great.

mag 9.5 is going to outflow the 600g single U tube overflow by at least 80%. The guy who said his Mag 9.5 matching 600gph is probably restricting his mag with thin pipes or just running massive head pressure. I have a mag 9.5 and everytime one of my two overflow box loose siphon, the water gets on my floor fast. Mag 6 will work, not sure if they make it, but a mag 7 is fine if you run at least 5' of head pressure.

Back