Pumps & Heat

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
I have the heating issue on my frag system well in hand but it did get me thinking... Do dirty pumps create more heat? I always intend to clean my pumps (return pump, powerheads, skimmer) on a regular basis but the reality is that my goal of cleaning every 6 months usually ends up being every year. Even a brand new clean pump causes some heat AND that dirty pumps can reduce flow over time. I've also found out that older pump (Pondmaster's specifically) can give off more heat because they're less efficient. But does a dirty pump give off more heat? Bro-science leads me to believe me that they would because the spinning of the impeller is less efficient but that's just me thinking. What do y'all think? Does anyone have an instance where pump maintenance led to a reduction in heat?

In theory I would say your correct. Not sure if it would be enough to cause a measurable difference. Should be able to watch the wattage draw on a pump if it's working harder it should be pulling more power.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

All pumps run more efficient when clean. Air, water,12v, 110, your car engine ..lol

Clean = efficient = cooler operation = Less power consumption

Is the pump in the sump or external? Curious about heat dissipation.

Never really thought about how a dirty pump might add to the heat released. Sounds entirely plausible, how much though? I wouldn't have a clue. I know DC pumps produce less heat and can be dialed down from the max output further reducing the heat given off. The controller is always external and it has a heat sink in it.

To add to that further. The latest available pumps from Jebao, the DCP line, are the easiest pumps to disassemble and clean, you saw mine. There's a DCW that's been listed for a while but I've only been able to find the smallest, DCW-2000, for sale anywhere.

I understand what you’re getting at but I don’t believe a dirty pump will produce more heat compared to a clean one. A dirty one will be using the same amount of energy a a clean one. The spinning mechanism is still attempting to turn the impeller at the same constant speed. I would assume if your impeller is gunked up and it’s not spinning as fast there’s less friction thus less heat.

Not sure if this applies but I had an issue where a jebao rw-4 power head impeller shaft broke(pretty sure it was my fault during dissassembly) and was not spinning. Caused my tank temp to go up to 81. When I pulled the pump it was very hot. After I replaced the shaft, same issue, impeller would not spin and the pump got very hot.

Back