Pumps

izib

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on water flow in my tank.
Ive currently got a 90gal tank with about 800gph from the return pump and 3 maxijet 1200s on a wavemaker. My goal would be all SPS, its currently a mix.

I'm looking at the mjmods (I would get new powerheads and continue using the ones I have on the wavemaker). The Koralia 4 is another possibility. Closed loop is another possibility but can I get the wide output with a CL? I would not be able to drill with the CL.

Recommendations? Also, how many.

Koralia (make sure they are new) are probably your best bet as they throw out 1200gph, are cheap and work very well. Another possiblity is the Tunze 6025 with mods or a 6045 which are also affordable and can produce in that 1200gph area. The MJMods are hit or miss. They aren't particularly good looking and they have a tendency to be loud. If you can afford it, the Vortech is a really nice pump.

After testing in my tank for a few days, I can say that using a linear flow left to right and alternating that flow daily, weekly, hourly or every half hour works great.

I would probably avoid a closed loop unless you want to drill or mind doing the plumbing. The only real advantage is they are less visible in the main tank. Beyond that they are generally louder, use more wattage, cost more and have less adjustability.

I would say take a look at the Tunze Turbelle NanoStream pumps. They aren't too badly expensive but they are small and put out a lot of water. They also come with the Magnet attachments. They from what I hear have a wide flow range.

if you go with the cl go with a dart it uses less watts and it kicks of the most punch for the cost try this link and see what you can get out of it
a>  good luck

Are the Koralias unsightly large? I know they are large but its hard to imagine them in the tank.

As for closed loop Ive got an equipment room outside so noise isn't so much of an issue. My concern is the width of the stream, will it still provide a wide calm stream?

Also, for a 1200gph powerhead how many would I need in the 90? I like the one on each end with rotating on and off Cameron. With 2 of these would I still need the maxijets? Or would it be better to get rid of them?

I would get ride of the Maxi jets or just have them behind the rocks but still accessible to blow out detritus from behind the rocks. I have four of them in my 75 one on each corner and there isn't a place in that tank without flow.

izib;43071 wrote: Are the Koralias unsightly large? I know they are large but its hard to imagine them in the tank.

As for closed loop Ive got an equipment room outside so noise isn't so much of an issue. My concern is the width of the stream, will it still provide a wide calm stream?

Also, for a 1200gph powerhead how many would I need in the 90? I like the one on each end with rotating on and off Cameron. With 2 of these would I still need the maxijets? Or would it be better to get rid of them?
They are larger than the Tunzes, but I don't think they are huge. About the size of a coke can.

You would need at least one on the left and one on the right. It would be best to have two on the left and two on the right. If it were me, I would put one 4 on the right and then in the middle put two 3s pointing to the left and right then one more 4 on the left. I would alternate a 4 and a 3 pointing left for a day then switch them the next day. That will give you really good flow. The concept of pointing pumps at each other is past its time. Pumps should work together to maximize the flow in a tank.

Back