Pur

kirru

Market
Reaction score
Ok so my dad brought up a question of can't you use the pur water filters? So I said no I don't know but I'd look in to it. So, it leads me here to see what you guys think? Will it work? Does it do both RO/DI or just RO, which is fine.

I'd get a RO/DI unit but I have to explore other options right now so any input?

a pur filter is def. better than tap, but no where near what RODI water produces. I'd be anxious to know what the TDS of pur filtered water would be; I don't have one-but if you've got an extra TDS meter and a pur filter-let it run a few an dlet us know. I'm also pretty sure it doesn't remove chloramines either--which is pretty bad for corals;

if you've got FO tank-then it would be ok, but algae growth would be awful.

No, i have corals but thats what I was thinking too. So looked at the site after posting and it says

According to the site, it does remove chorines but i am not sure on Chloramines, here is a link to their site stating what is removed:
a>

prime will remove them-but like I said I don't think the quality water would be the same as from RO unit; my suggestion--just simply buy RO water from LFS if you don't have RO unit (and I assume you don't)--then mix it yourself-it's cheaper that way if you can get a bucket or two of salt (or go in w/ somebody and split shipping)

yup no RO unit. but hopefully I can get a RO/DI unit soon, but gotta get a job first.

anyway, I want to get one but my dad is kinda cheap but he doesn't understand I need PURE, so he is trying to throw out cheap ideas and I have to investigate for him to tell him why. my parents just don't understand like some do.

It's just a sediment and carbon filter. No RO and definately no DI. No drinking water will ever be DI.

gotcha I can now pass this on to the person who wanted to know.

now another question came up.

What about rain water? not run off but catching it before it hits the ground.

I'm just chock full of random questions.

The carbon in a PUR filter may also not be aquarium grade. It might leach things that are harmless to humans, but not to fish.

rain water is not pure, why? Think of all the chemicals in our air. There have been a few cases of people nuking tanks w/rain topoffs.

However, it may not be totally bad, but there is potential for a nightmare.

Sulfur dioxide in the air would be not good. Definitely wouldn't do rainwater anywhere within 100 miles of Atlanta and not many places anywhere on the east coast, really.

Skriz I want to but my dad is trying to find alternative ways. I just have to find out why you can't so he will listen. He is very hard head.

Hopefully he'll buy me a RO/DI unit

ares;276741 wrote: biggest strike on PUR, VERY expensive filters with low capacity, they are rated for like 100 or 200gallons, for the price of the filters, thats not reasonable.

good point, and the ro/di filters will last a year or so.

so think of lifetime value. How much are the pur filters if you had to replace monthly?

+1 with Ares,,,,,,look into pure water club -
they have really cheap ro units and some have extra filters for free as well....you will be set for a couple years :)

I started out using a PUR water filter on my 55 just because i couldn't affor a filter kit. I used the PUR filtered water and prime. It worked, but caused a decent amount of increased algae growth for me.

Once I set up my water filtration, it dramatically helped make my tank look much more sparkling clear and cut down a pretty decent amount on my algae growth.

ares;276790 wrote: you can get a very fine RO/DI off ebay for like 100$ shipped. no brainer :)

NotiReef;276837 wrote: +1 with Ares,,,,,,look into pure water club -
they have really cheap ro units and some have extra filters for free as well....you will be set for a couple years :)

I have looked an plan on getting one from them but when I say I can't get one cause I don't have the money I mean no money

yup. and I started my 10 gallon on tap but then switch after I found it locally in savannah.

I ran my tank on tap and Prime for the first 4 months of its life. Had normal cycling algae. Bought an R/O unit 2 months ago and I can't tell a difference in water quality. But I'm sure my livestock can.

Back