Purging air in calcium reactor

ptreef

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have tips for purging air in the calcium reactor? It has been running for about 3 days now and continues to have a great deal of air recirculating in the first chamber.

It’s the reef octopus CR5000D
I tried opening the ph probe and thought I had just but I guess not all of it. I’m definitely still learning about this thing

It’s the reef octopus CR5000D
I tried opening the ph probe and thought I had just but I guess not all of it. I’m definitely still learning about this thing
Are you pulling the water on the effluent side with a dosing pump or using pressure from a pump on the feed side?

If pulling from the effluent with a metered pump and the reactor is above the water line of the sump opening the pH port may pull a little air when opened.
Another thing could be too much co2 released at once that will cause bubbles to be trapped at the top and lead to some noise from the pump as they get pulling in and it cavitates.

I’m using the kamoer pump to pull from the sump. The calcium reactor is sitting on the floor next to the sump but the top of it is definitely higher than the sump water level. Right now I’ve been running about 1 bubble per second

I would shut off the CO2 going to reactor because until you get air purged out you are just adding more to the mix with CO2. I would also turn up Kamoer to send more water through reactor and just watch it usually within a few hours all remaining air will be out of the reactor. Then just turn Kamoer back to original settings and CO2 back on. Just the way I tackle CA reactor's to get remaining air from it.

If you relocate the outlet of the reactor to the top of the unit it will purge itself.

Back