Purigen instead of carbon?

tgray3

Market
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying out Purigen. I've heard/read that it does a better job than carbon as far as removing DOC from the water and controlling Nitrates. My Nitrate tests come out at less than 0 but i have some HA so i know its there.

Has anyone tried it in lieu of carbon? Do you use it in addition to carbon? Just wondering what everyone's experience with it was.

i have been thinking of this too, if it wasn't so expensive, and the cleaning process such a pain i probably would of switched by now.

I use both......

The single bags at keen reef are only like 8 bucks, and cleaning it is as easy as dropping it in bleach, then rinsing and LET TRY COMPLETELY.

I like it, you should try it...

Wow, wish my nitrates were less than zero, lol.

Oh, and I got some carbon from the BRS group buy, like $12 for a bag. I've switched out the carbon in my reactor 4 times since I first used any from that bag (about every 2 weeks) and I'm maybe 1/4 the way through the bag.

Using carbon to tackle nitrates is the wrong approach. Water changes and skimming will take care of the trates. Purigen/carbon is better used to polish the water; you'll use much less and it will last longer too.

I think i may take me a Fathers day road trip tomorrow.:thumbs: and try some out. Its for a 55 so $8 bag ought ta do it. I haven't been to Keen yet and this sounds like a good reason to make the trip.

Just Bought Some Purigen Over Carbon At Creation This Evening... Ima Try It And See How It Goes. What Sold Me Was The Fact That It Can Be Rejuvenated. No Need To Toss Out Or Replace.

Another product for dissolved organics is Seachem Renew. It's a carbon substitute - doesn't remove as many trace elements as carbon, but performs much the same function.

Seachem affectionately refers to Purigen as "protein skimmer in a bag" - it removes a lot of dissolved organics too - but it is a bit more expensive. Worth it, IMO - and as mentioned, it can be regenerated, so that extra cost is actually "canceled out" if you do take the time and effort to re-use it.

Jenn

I dunno, but I always get a bad feeling on re-charging the Purigen. The thought of putting something back in the tank that was soaked in bleach just sounds scary.

I know Seachem recommends doing this, but still... I dunno. It just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

So don't regenerate it - toss it and get another refill. That's an option too.

There's nothing scary about bleaching if it's done correctly, and according to directions - we bleach all kinds of things - decorations from FO tanks, filter socks... Purigen...

If it's out of your comfort zone, just buy new. That raises the cost factor - but if it's the price of peace of mind, so be it.

Jenn

the reason why you have hair algae is that you have nitrates & phosphates. Without controlling your phosphates, you'll lose.

phoenix20;360330 wrote: I dunno, but I always get a bad feeling on re-charging the Purigen. The thought of putting something back in the tank that was soaked in bleach just sounds scary.

I know Seachem recommends doing this, but still... I dunno. It just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Bleach basically breaks down to salt and water, nothing that can hurt your tank. Also, once dry, leaves no harmful residue. (We're talking about pure bleach, not a product like Clorox Clean-up that contains surfactants).

I've been bleaching tank stuff for over 20 years with only one (stupid, stupid) casualty, when I accidentally bleached a Six Line Wrasse when I was cleaning some dead coral heads in my tank. I thought I saw the wrasse in the corner of the tank (lights were off of tank for cleaning, turned out it was a suction cup bracket I saw). I pulled the dead coral head out of the tank and dipped it in the bleach water, shortly finding a bleached Six Line Wrasse floating to the surface. I still kick myself for that and it happened 21 years ago.

I'm sorry, I'm one of those people you ask for the time, and you get to hear where I purchased my watch. I remind my self to stay focused in professional situations, in the future I'll do that here as well.

Yeah, Bleach Good! (when used properly)

I was bleaching some rock yesterday and used the gel bleach but it said only bleach. After Dakota posting above, I read ingredients and it has surfactants. It that okay if I rinse and rinse and rinse?

........... and rinse some more!

I'd still let it cure a while in a tank on its one after rinsing. Basically, you just dosed porus rock with soap. Proceed at your own comfort level. Remember that eventually any residue left by the surfactants will biodegrade.

If you panic and choose not to use the rock, don't throw it away..... I'll gladly take.

Back