Purigen Questions

theplantman

Market
Reaction score
I bought a purigen bag to help keep nitrates as low as possible but I am not familiar with how safe it is in the tank. The bag says it treats up to a 100 gallon tank. Will that be too much for our 34gal Solana? I know you have to use the appropriate amount of phosban or it could be detrimental to a tank, and did not know if purigen is the same, better to ask first.

Has anyone ever run it through their phosphate reactor with their phosban?

Also how do you rinse it, with RODI water or is tap okay?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I never used it with a reactor but have used/use Purigen. I highly believe in the product and no, one bag will not hurt anything. I placed mine in a high flow area as that is what was recommended to me when I first started using it. If you rinse it, do it with RODI (IMO) as most things you should anyway. It is a great product but don't rely solely on it to solve any nitrate issues...as an addition (which is what it sounds like you want it for), it does a great job.

Hi, I use the Purigen bag in my Aquapod 12. From what I understand it is a resin and not a chemical. I rinse mine out with water change water or with RO/DI water.

Adam

And when it changes colors you can regenerate it as well. You should be able to use it for quite a while. I use it to absorb any hard metals or as a precaution in case of contaminants.

Thanks Everyone,

And yeah coolsurf, I don't have any water quality issues, using it like I do my phosban as a preventitive measure. Just making sure my critters are happy.

coolsurf;336997 wrote: I never used it with a reactor but have used/use Purigen. I highly believe in the product and no, one bag will not hurt anything. I placed mine in a high flow area as that is what was recommended to me when I first started using it. If you rinse it, do it with RODI (IMO) as most things you should anyway. It is a great product but don't rely solely on it to solve any nitrate issues...as an addition (which is what it sounds like you want it for), it does a great job.

Fish Scales2;337002 wrote: And when it changes colors you can regenerate it as well. You should be able to use it for quite a while. I use it to absorb any hard metals or as a precaution in case of contaminants.

I didn't think it removed heavy metals. I know Cuprisorb will - but I even checked Seachem's page about Purigen, it only talks about organics.

It is good stuff though - and completely safe. It only removes stuff from the water - does not add anything to it.

Jenn

It's basically a bunch of tiny macroporous balls. The larger organic molecules get trapped in the larger(macro) pores, while the smaller(micro) molecules(trace elements) escape capture. This gives it an advantage over carbon, which is both macro and microporous.

When you bleach it, you oxidize the trapped organics and it is ready to use again. It is 100% inert and will not harm your system.

coolsurf;336997 wrote: I never used it with a reactor but have used/use Purigen. I highly believe in the product and no, one bag will not hurt anything. I placed mine in a high flow area as that is what was recommended to me when I first started using it. If you rinse it, do it with RODI (IMO) as most things you should anyway. It is a great product but don't rely solely on it to solve any nitrate issues...as an addition (which is what it sounds like you want it for), it does a great job.

agreed. I used it in my 55 to help my battle against nitrates while I tweaked my feeding, water change, and light schedule to meet the needs of the tank.

Just remember to give it a follow-up soak with Prime or other dechlorinator after you bleach it.

I suppose you could put it in a reactor, but it'll do more good in higher flow areas.

Back