Purple claw reef lobster

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these? We bought a tiny one from The Fish Store. Properly acclimated. Saw it under a rock the first night and have never seen it again. I’ve looked overnight with red flashlight but no signs of it.
ABD6143F-6060-4D65-B17F-B7AFC284421C.jpeg

Um. 1 of 2 things. 1) He's just chillin' under some rock work - I've gone weeks without seeing my pistol shrimp... They hide out for a while after a molt. Or 2) That new wrasse.... Some are known to eat ornamental crustaceans.

Um. 1 of 2 things. 1) He's just chillin' under some rock work - I've gone weeks without seeing my pistol shrimp... They hide out for a while after a molt. Or 2) That new wrasse.... Some are known to eat ornamental crustaceans.
Don’t think it’s the wrasse. We got the lobster weeks ago and literally have not seen it since I took that picture.

Ok. Well have only had the wrasse a few days but whatever. I haven’t found a body lol

Ok. Well have only had the wrasse a few days but whatever. I haven’t found a body lol
There's a very good chance that in a few days you'll be like "oh, there he is :D" He's gonna hide when he sees a wrasse swimming around. Hell, he's probably gonna hide regardless.

Unfortunately, these lobsters are fish hunters. We had them up in Chicago.

Also, they always hide. We had 1 in the same Nano tank for nearly a year, with no other fish, only corals. People never saw him, so nobody bought him. Still... even after a year, I don’t recall that he ever came out during the day.

That said, they are stunningly colored!

Tyler really wanted him but that’s because he was in a tank with nowhere to hide and he was enamored by it. He considers it a waste of money now. Why have something pretty if you can’t ever see it!

Tyler really wanted him but that’s because he was in a tank with nowhere to hide and he was enamored by it. He considers it a waste of money now. Why have something pretty if you can’t ever see it!

Haha... The reason he had nowhere to hide may be because that LFS knew that he would hide constantly, and would consequently take months/years to sell. If they don’t provide any hiding places, somebody will see his bright colors and buy him immediately.

That’s just speculation though. Obviously, I don’t know what’s in the minds of the LFS. But the implication is that the LFS may have knowingly tried to deceive a customer, or that they are unaware about the livestock they are selling. Neither, if true, gives me confidence.

We all live, make mistakes, and learn in this hobby. We just gotta keep doing our best and continually improve. Fortunately, most predators are terrible at catching prey (except things like lionfish... those guys are brutal). So you probably have time before he catches any fish off guard.

I've made this mistake as well - I'm fairly confident most of us have, especially when new to the hobby.

I do a TON of research before I get fish. I've killed, or made uncomfortable, too many animals, so I never buy anything without going home and doing my research. If you prepay for an animal, go home and research it first, then come back and either get it or get a refund if it won't work, you'll refrain from making split second decisions that could either upset you or upset the balance of your tanks.

I came ** this close to buying a ghost ribbon eel last week, but didn't, because I did some research and I wasn't ready for it. We're talking about animals lives here, so I gotta play it safe all the time. Just my philosophy when it comes to my tanks.

I'm really really glad your tank is doing better and is making you happy now :D

A founding member of the club and previous LFS owner taught me early on to do my research before buying livestock. @jennm referred me to these two books and I use them whenever I want to buy something. I also search for information on the net too. Although she hasn't been on the site in almost a year, you can search her posts here on site and still find a wealth of knowledge.

I have one in my tank it hides in till all lights go out. Then he'll be out Hunting. Once while he come out during feeding then go right back in his cave.

I’ve tried to look in the tank with red flashlight but have never seen him doing anything

Back