Purple groths on a frogspawn?

You may be looking at some Vermitid snails.

Generally, they aren’t terrible. However many experienced reefers hate them. They secrete a string of mucus to catch microscopic food. And this mucus string can irritate nearby corals.

Those look like vermetid snails... a type of snail that glues its shell to the rockwork. They make mucous threads to collect particulate matter and that can irritate corals nearby them. They are ok to have imo and some don't agree with that... But I like having them in the tank as they eat a lot of crud. When one develops near corals though I will destroy them by crushing the shells or sealing up the tube.

When I see them I always crush them with some coral pliers or nippers. They never used to bother me but since I've been adding more nutrients to feed the corals, their population has become noticeably larger. While they aren't a serious "pest" I would encourage their removal. They really can explode in population if not kept in check.

When I see them I always crush them with some coral pliers or nippers. They never used to bother me but since I've been adding more nutrients to feed the corals, their population has become noticeably larger. While they aren't a serious "pest" I would encourage their removal. They really can explode in population if not kept in check.
I had 2,5,20 real quick

Back