Purple Tang Price?

jcusmarine

Supporting
Reaction score
How much should we expect to pay for a Purple Tang? I have seen small 1-2" for over $100....and usually they are not listed as in stock.

Your thoughts?

They are getting harder and harder to get. I believe most fish stores get them from the Red Sea and the Red Sea/Indian Ocean is strict on collection, so what we get is what the suppliers already have in stock. In a few years Purple tangs could go up in price 3-4x what they are now.

Yea, I am not sure what to do with mine. He is about 4 or so inches, perfect health...the bully of my 55 gal - I am starting to think it may be better to sell him to someone who has a larger tank....tough choice - amazing fish and most def one of my fav saltwater fish of all time.....it would help my mated pair of clowns - they have not had eggs in the 8 months I have had the tang and have had difficulty finding a spot to chill out. The Tang is not hurting them, just messing with them when they pick a spot.

My PT is a beast! He's around 5.5 to 6" and gorgeous, but I agree...a big ol' bully. He's settled down some since the addition of my Foxface, but he can still be a butthole. He came from the now defunct Poseidon's Reef/The Reef Store and I only paid $129 (but I think they were pretty desperate for a sale at the time). I've seen them at the Aviarium a time or two, but can't recall how much they were asking.

The Petco in Cumming has had a big one for $109 for some time now. I really feel for the poor guy, since he's in one of those 1 sq ft display tanks. I am pretty sure he had ick at one time but seems to have fully recovered.

my PT is a pansy...he used to get beat up by my dominos! I love that fish though.

Domino's are pretty mean Raj. I'm starting to think that you're an amateur in disguise... lmao

Dude that Sohal has to man up. I want a big one like the one at CBA!

Cap Bay had about five of them for $99 each. SWC had them at about that price as well.

Back