Purple tang.....what would you do.

grouper

Market
Reaction score
I have a purple tang that has white spots on it(i.e. stomach area).:sick: Even the lips are white. Not ick. Also, it looks like it has lock jaw. It's gills are still moving, however, it does not open it's mouth. I have not seen him/her eat in several weeks. Will not eat anything(i.e. mysis, nori). It continues to swim around. It look miserable. I thinking about taking it out of it's misery. All other fish are okay. Water parms good. Just did a water change with H2O. It's been in the tank for about 3 years. Any thoughts?

i would take him to your favorite LFS,and let them heal him!!!

i looked at buying one yesterday...$140 fishy,AND you have had him 3 years!!...DONT LOSE HIM!!!!!!!!!

KR561;321956 wrote: i would take him to your favorite LFS,and let them heal him!!!

i looked at buying one yesterday...$140 fishy,AND you have had him 3 years!!...DONT LOSE HIM!!!!!!!!!

YOu saw a purple tang for $140.00?

yea i did..then i went to another FS today,and saw them for $100

mike17kb;322192 wrote: life span is up to 20 years in home aquarium

Unlike the previous unintelligent repsonse,tThanks for your intelligent repsonse. Where did you find your information?

grouper;322194 wrote: Unlike the previous unintelligent repsonse,tThanks for your intelligent repsonse. Where did you find your information?

Well SNAP!!!

Seriously,
I've had two fish (both clowns) over the years develope that lock-jaw </em>symptom you mentioned, and know Linda had a fish that happened to. In these cases, the jaw juted forward in the advanced stage and seemed incapable of movment..... In all instances the fish died. Please share if this seems to be the case with your fish.

As far as the white spots go, I haven't a clue, unless it's another symptom of its overall poor health.

Hmmm, I guess next time I see a Purple Tang at my local Petco for $35 I'll snatch it up (about 5").

That said, I don't know any LFS that will take in your sick fish and heal it for you. I seriously doubt they'd risk infecting their stock, and any care they give would be less than what you can give at home.

andregarcia_73;321954 wrote: I agree! Something changed and he may need to be taken out, though some times its best to just leave the fish alone. Added anthing or had any problema with the tank recently?

Only thing that changed was the lighting. I purchased a T5/TEK-6 bulb.

Dakota9;322198 wrote: Well SNAP!!!

Seriously,
I've had two fish (both clowns) over the years develope that lock-jaw </em>symptom you mentioned, and know Linda had a fish that happened to. In these cases, the jaw juted forward in the advanced stage and seemed incapable of movment..... In all instances the fish died. Please share if this seems to be the case with your fish.

As far as the white spots go, I haven't a clue, unless it's another symptom of its overall poor health.

Gone. Purple tang is in fish heavan...

sorry for your lose man . I don't know if you are looking to get another one but at fish scales we have one in stock for 140$ then take 20% off that. He is a net caught fish(no blasting) and he is eating. He is about 4-5 inchs in length.
Chris c

myVWrock;325506 wrote: sorry for your lose man . I don't know if you are looking to get another one but at fish scales we have one in stock for 140$ then take 20% off that. He is a net caught fish(no blasting) and he is eating. He is about 4-5 inchs in length.
Chris c

Thanks man. I thinking of a Achilles Tang.

we can get those in from Hawaii not caught also.
Chris c

Back