Push connect PVC for plumbing?

John Bowers

Supporting
Reaction score
As my system has expanded over time with more features and tanks, and some of the older pipes are getting clogged with marine life buildup, I am planning on re-doing my plumbing.

I am looking at push connect 1" pvc fittings from Lowes.

LASCO 1-in x 1-in dia 90-Degree Elbow PVC Fitting in the PVC Fittings department at Lowes.com

I think that the potential to more easily remove or modify parts of the plumbing and replace, as well as flexibility to rotate pipes are a bonus, along with the quick solvent free install plus the advantage of clear pipe at fittings to observe flow are a bonus.

Has anyone used such fittings on a tank that has been around for a while? Apparently the fittings have been sold since about 2013 and are commonly used for outside irrigation.

It would appear that the pressure ratings are completely sufficient for normal aquarium ranges although they are officially rated only for irrigation use. I figure if they are reliable enough to be leak free, they would be a great option to consider.

I’m going to try this out. It would solve an issue I’ve been trying to work out. I wanted to be able to take out the pipe connecting my RO and new saltwater in the garage whenever I need to. Since it’s not going to be constantly under pressure I think this will be fine. I’ll also be building a pond soon and will probably experiment with these outside for long term use with pressure.

This excites me and scares me at the same time.

Saltwater breaks things down quickly. I would worry about the seals getting corrosion/build up and breaking down over a quick period of time.

I would love it see in in actual practice with a long term test.

The "irrigation only" screams out this isn't good for drinking water for one reason or another. At the same time though it's trusted to not leak and create a sink hole in your dang yard (looking at you Florida).

This excites me and scares me at the same time.

Saltwater breaks things down quickly. I would worry about the seals getting corrosion/build up and breaking down over a quick period of time.

I would love it see in in actual practice with a long term test.

The "irrigation only" screams out this isn't good for drinking water for one reason or another. At the same time though it's trusted to not leak and create a sink hole in your dang yard (looking at you Florida).
Yeah, the "irrigation only" is a red flag. That mean it's not suitable for potable water, which typically means there is some type of chemical leaching. I'd avoid it.

I believe the irrigation only is due to pressure thresholds, not any potential hazards except leaking. Normal PVC 1" can handle about 450 PSI (in theory). But the push connect is much lower (170 PSI). Since normal sprinklers are normally designed to operate at 35 PSI the push connect is plenty strong to handle irrigation pressures. If the pressure was approaching 170 PSI the sprinklers would not be working so plumbing below that pressure is fine.
Household PVC plumbing is going to be generally less than 100 PSI but of course building codes will mandate a much higher margin of safety, so they might be able to handle higher pressure. Normal city water can be up to 400 PSI but is adjusted with a pressure reduction valve before entering a residence. The household plumbing is mandated by code not to fail if the pressure reduction valve fails and delivers up to 400 psi into a residence.

An aquarium system should not get anywhere near 100 PSI so it should be well within safety margins. Even if a sump is on a separate floor 12' lower than the tank, that would only be about 5-6 psi due to gravity, and any reasonable aquarium pump will not be anywhere near the 170 psi range (with the exception of maybe large multi thousand gallon systems). With the possible exception of a Co2 reactor regulator failing and a complete blockage at the same time, I can't imagine high pressures in a reasonable reef system.

The push connect is basically just pvc with a rubber gasket, held in pressure by metal prongs that are not in contact with the liquid. Push connect pvc is commonly used on RO units and is considered safe for tanks (obviously), and many smaller diameter plumbing to items like reactors. We all have the same sort of rubber gaskets on bulkheads that connect to the tanks.

I will try re-plumbing a part of my system, and the important question will be are there any slight leaks that allow the metal parts to become in contact with salt water, and if so do they rust.

Back