Push Connect/ Quick Disconnect for 3/4 Tubing

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get those push-connect fittings that we use for our RO/DI tubing but for 3/4" vinyl tubing?

Ive looked everywhere online and Im not even sure they make it....the only ones Ive found are for harder types of tubing.

Or can you think of a way of quick connecting disconnecting for 3/4" vinyl tubing??

I found this.....do you guys think it would work?

If not I could use your suggestion Ares.

http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull.asp?pid=3298&ref=1">http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull.asp?pid=3298&ref=1</a>

the idea would be this:

tubing -&gt; barb -&gt; connector -&gt; CPVC -&gt; connector -&gt; barb -&gt; tubing

The guy told me it had to be CPVC because the outer diameter of 3/4" CPVC is 7/8" which is the same size as copper tubing which is what these quick connects are made for.

Is CPVC usable in the aquarium hobby?

You can get thee at Lowes in the plumbing section, but they are CPVC and not where the PVC fittings are, or the large hanging hook/plastic bag fitting section display.

Ask for assistance and someone from the section can get you there.

You can use them with vinyl, and yes CPVC is reef safe, but you need an inner plastic tube that goes inside the vinyl and gives the fitting some back pressue when it clams down.
Dave

Dave....are you saying i can get those Watts fitting at Lowes????

As for being able to use them with vinyl tubing, the problem is the outer diameter of the vinyl tubing. It is 1" OD and because of that wont fit into the Push connect part.

Since CPVC is reef safe, I might just use this as a solution.

I also found these too but talk about expensive!!!

ps_ViewItem.aspx

cpvc is def reef safe....that's what used on the DIY nano skimmers (found on RC). And I had that all over the little 20g reef I had at my office.

Jorge,
I can't guarantee it, but if you have a Lowes close, take a piece of the tubing in and just test fit it. I think they have 1" od CPVC push fittings. They sell them for use with PEX type tubing, but they will work with other tubing types, as long as you use the inner sleeve I mentioned with the more soft types, like your vinyl.

I don't know if they are the Watts brand, but Lowes dowes sell Watts fittings.
Dave

Jgoal55;430598 wrote: Dave....are you saying i can get those Watts fitting at Lowes????

As for being able to use them with vinyl tubing, the problem is the outer diameter of the vinyl tubing. It is 1" OD and because of that wont fit into the Push connect part.

Since CPVC is reef safe, I might just use this as a solution.

I also found these too but talk about expensive!!!

ps_ViewItem.aspx

Thanks Dave....im gonna run by a Lowes today.

Whats PEX btw?

Lee, didnt your 20 crash????? lol...j/k

PEX stands for Cross Linked Polyetylene. It is used in Europe and the USA for radiant floor heating and plumbing, and it is used a lot for refrigerator ice and water lines. It is that milky white tubing that is stiffer than vinyl. I use the 1/4" OD PEX for running product water from my RODI to topoff and waterchange reservoirs, and to run to and from the sump for my Nilsen, calcium reactor, and ATO.

I don't really trust them. In fact, as soon as Shark-bite make 1/2 and 3/8, I am converting to them. I visited the watts website to learn more about the QDs and they say that they can be removed and attached 100s of times (that a direct quote). Some of mine leak (and I replaced them with compression fittings). Shark-bite makes a superior product, but they presently start at 1/2 inch. All of the HDs and Lowe's carry the watts line. When I used my RO unit, I also have it in the tub and I never leave the house when making water. I have a GPD unit, and I only make about 50 to 75 gallons a month...so it's no big deal to hook-uo and detach twice a month. When its warmer out, I connect it to a hose and keep the unit outside with only solid tubing indoors. On Saturday, I returned 3 watts QDs that leaked and I definately installed the correctly. I hope this helps.

Luckily both the fitting will be outdoors so even if they leak a little, no big deal. Also, they will only have water flowing through them during water changes so that means they will almost never be on ;)

just checked out that shark-bite stuff.....looks like high quality stuff.....are the SW safe though.....they look like they are made out of metal/copper????

u r dong it the right way, at least, as far as i 'm concerned. SB is made of copper and what looks like some type of plastic liner - but I am not sure. Good luck. I just went through the same the upon the purchase of my RO unit. Which happens tobe made near you. See
a>. It's only 135 there!

PEX also come in light gray and is often found from the supply vavlves under your sink leading to your faucets.

Back