putting pygmy angels together

kappaknight

Market
Reaction score
If one were to want to have multiple pygmy angels (large or small tank)... is introducing them at the same time the only way this could work?

depends how large..when i say large i mean like a 210, anything less and id itd be iffy imho. It would be safer in a longer tank i think.

When I did it for my tank, I put them in relatively near the same time. Also, I chose some smaller, juveniles. It's always going to be iffy, but sometimes you can get lucky.

honestly, for some of the centropyges out there, it definetely is worth it, but only if you really have a system big enough. I feel like marine fish has at least two different centropyges in their big display tank, granted thats more like a 400-600 gallon tank

Are you talking the same species, or different? Both will be difficult, with the prior being much more so, especially in a small tank. It is possible though, you just want a big difference in size , and dif different sepcies, colors as well.

It's been done before, with success even in tanks of less than 100 gallons. I still wouldn't recommend it though since you have a good probability of getting the highlander effect and then only have one really pretty fish, with half a face.

I would think you would have a better chance if you add them both at the same time so they would both be new to the territory. Once they get established... they'll vigorously defend their turf. I had to give up my beautiful reef safe pygmy angel because I was changing the direction of my livestock and she would not leave the newcomers alone...

I agree with the points above. Pygmy angels do not seem to have a territory like a lot of other fish. They swim from one end of the tank to the other so you are likely going to need a huge tank or well tempermented fish. You can try the juvie approach, but they won't be abile to adjust as well to bullying. You could also try the full grown adult and hope they do not start going at each other. I might try an acrylic divider or smaller tank in the main tank to keep them seperated and see their behavoir before combining them in the main tank.

We had a customer come into the store once that setup 3 24 gallon aquapods right next to eacother and aquascaped the rocks making it look like one long tank. I never actually saw the setup but it supposedly looked really nice. they did this so they could keep different species that didnt get along with eachother, i.e. anemones, angels, sps, etc, "together" in one system

the guy paid with a black amex card. nuff said. supposedly the guys at marine fish helped him plan it out

I have a potters and flame in mine and they have no issues but it's a 450G display also so I'm sure that helps!!!!

I have seen coral beauties and flames together in many tanks rarely having issues. To be safe I would add at the same time.

It can depend on the species, coloration, size of the specimens,timing, as well as LUCK. Angels are my favorite so I've made efforts to try and keep more than a few. I've had success in the past keeping a Flame, Lemonpeel, Potter's and Flameback in the same tank (125g FOWLR) and currently have a Flame and Cherub in a 55g. Adding them together will certainly help if you decide to try as well as making sure that they can establish their own territories. Have a seperate "outcropping" for each fish. If you just have one contiguous run of LR (without any separation), the dominate fish will eventually make the entire run their territory. Different colors can also lessen aggression, as long as they are added together.

I have a Pygmy Angel and a Coral Beauty together. The Pygmy was in for like 2 months before the other guy. No issues at all.

I have one cherub a flame and a potters in my 180. I placed them in at different times. no problems. they have pleny of rock and places to hide.

I was going to recommend talking to mike, but he already beat me to it. He keeps all sorts of angels and is probably the best expert we have around here on them... at least on keeping them in an aquarium.

I tried a Coral Beauty and a Flame in a 90 several years ago and they activly hunted each other out to fight. Other people have been successful with this combination. It comes down to the individual fishes involved. I can tell you one thing, it stinks watching 2 fish fight it out because you forced them together. I was lucky and was able to net one of them out and put it in another tank.

Yeah, sadly the flame I put in my tank a couple of months back suffered the same fate. It didn't help that the new fish was smaller than my existing angel.

Back