PVC help

You will definely want to use PVC cleaner on this first to make sure you get a good seal. The primer will also help. Most all brands will do the job, just make sure you give it sufficient time to cure. After mine was done curing I gave it a vinegar soak but that may have been overkill

I did all my plumbing at around 8pm one night. Let it sit overnight, and started running water through it the next day. No leaks/problems.

Do we have 2 use the cleaner? We did not buy it. My dad said that I could just use the cement abd it would be good, but the guy told me that I should get the cement and primer.

cleaner=primer. it's the same thing (just some call cleaner, others primer). It is a VITAL step--not saying that you'll not have leaks-poor plumbing causes leaks-but the primer/cleaner actually slightly melts the PVC and helps make a better bond. WHen I started out, I tried to shortcut w/o the primer, and it eventually catches up and shows---listen from experience and use it; on another note-use the clear glue and primer and it won't look near as messy! let it sit up overnight-use teflon tape against the threads and only wrap it once, but make sure ALL threads are covered. Some people use multiple layers of teflon and it can actuall yhave negative effects-doesn' tlet thread 'seat' as well.

blind1993;262270 wrote: My dad said that I could just use the cement abd it would be good, but the guy told me that I should get the cement and primer.

ask you dad if a possible flood is worth a $10 bottle of primer-?

I'd get it. like eric says, if you dont use it now, it'll come back to bite ya in the arse bad.

I've helped my dad do plumbing on a house we built in Richmond Hill, GA and helped with the finishing of the basement here in Conyers, GA. Not once did we not use the primer/cleaner.

I never knew why but i knew he did it for a reason.

Good luck to ya!

as someone who uses PVC on nearly a daily basis-spend the $10-it's a cheap insurance policy

also--go for the schedule 40 PVC-there is a little cheaper kind (schedule 20 or 200) it's a thinner wall-over time the friction that the water creates will wear the wall of the pipe thinner and thinner--the sch. 200 (or 20) will wear a hole in half the time--sch. 40 will rarely, if ever wear a hole b/c of its friction b/c of its thickness. For no more than you're gonna use, you'd save maybe 15-$20 in using sch. 200 to the 40--another cheap insurance policy.

There is a "Cleaner" and a "Primer", i use primer now since JohnR showed me the trick and it also keeps you from having purple runs down your piping. Like stated the primer melts the PVC a bit and creates a better seal. So prime then cement, make sure to press the pieces together as stated on the directions and you'll be good to go.

What do u mean press it together? I already bought the primer it came in a oack with the cement 4 $7, ill see uf my dad will helpMePlumb it tonight and test 4 leaks tomorrow. There will b a build thread once I get off the bb and get home.

just read the directions on the back of the can, tells you to cement both ends then press them together while giving like a 1/4 twist then hold them pressed together to keep them from pushing apart. the pipe will try and push out if you dont. im sure youll get it together without any problems.

one thing that makes for even distribution of the glue is put the pieces together, then slightly 'twist' them--if you didn't glue a particular spot on the pipe/fitting, then it helps to distribute the glue to that/those spots--

shromy;262279 wrote: There is a "Cleaner" and a "Primer", i use primer now since JohnR showed me the trick and it also keeps you from having purple runs down your piping. Like stated the primer melts the PVC a bit and creates a better seal. So prime then cement, make sure to press the pieces together as stated on the directions and you'll be good to go.

primer IS cleaner
a>

Well I already bought it, funny thing is that I only need 8 seals and have a can that could dO like 100 seals

The primer will clean the surface of any oils and such which will affect the integrity of the bond.

How big of a jar of primer are yall buying? I got a good sized can and it was like $3 at Home Depot. I think I bought it back in May/June when a pipe burst and I've barely scratched the surface of using any noticeable amount of primer.

we already bought the jars that are about $5 each but we got them in a deal for $7 for both.

Back