pvc or plastic tubing

mikeup6

Market
Reaction score
Are there any benefits to using one over the other? I'm plumbing my first sump, and the tubing seems to be a lot easier.

Also, is it important for the drain line diameter to be larger than the return line?

I've always used the clear tubing and yes the drain line needs to be bigger.

Tube is alot easier... Hard PVC is stronger but for a normal return line, you do not need to worry. If you have a fear, get some flex PVC but I would not waste the money. If the tubing is going ANYWHERE near lights, you need to really think about going with PVC. Over time, algae will build up in the line if it is near lights and slow down the return line.

mikeup6;175253 wrote: Are there any benefits to using one over the other? I'm plumbing my first sump, and the tubing seems to be a lot easier.

Also, is it important for the drain line diameter to be larger than the return line?

I prefer tubing myself. Easier to work with and easier to replace or move around if needed. Most sump systems have the drain line wider than the return because the drain lines are gravity fed and the returns are pumped. I guess the main danger is if the return line is the same or smaller diameter is that the return pump could flow water faster than the drain line, overflowing the tank.

Typical in All-Glass or Oceanic systems is to have a 1" ID drain line and 3/4" return lines, and the drain lines are usually the ribbed plastic flex lines that fit over the outside of 1" PVC pipe. I know they sell these at Optimum Aquarium, as that is where I bought mine for my 120 Reef. Here is a link for the type drain hose I am describing:

a>

Acroholic;175328 wrote: I guess the main danger is if the return line is the same or smaller diameter is that the return pump could flow water faster than the drain line, overflowing the tank.

I mis-stated above. I meant to say if the DRAIN line is the same or smaller diameter.
Dave

Back