Pyramid Snails 'Treatment'

gwhiz

Market
Reaction score
I came home from a business trip and saw about 30 pyramid snails on my Derasa clam. I took the clam out and removed the snails that I could find and scrubbed the shell with a toothbrush.

Now what? I've read that six line wrasses will eat the buggers and I plan on adding one. What else have y'all done?

Thx.

The best way is to check and clean everyday. They won't venture far from the clam and eventually you'll get them all. Just be sure to get any eggs also!

some six lines and butterflioes and othe wrasses may it but it's hit or miss and they certainly won't totally eliminate them.

haninja;142161 wrote: I read that a fresh water dip can help.

:eek:

Stick to the scrubbing, try putting the clam in clean sand in a tupperware container or a container containing rubble or bare bottomred if need be that you can discard whatever is under the clam every few days as you scrub the valves clean. Ifyou scrub the clam well, and rinse it in SW after the scrubbing, within a few weeks, you should be ble to rid the system of these pests.

There should be an article this past month (sorry, havn't had the time to check it out yet) in the on-line magazine "Reefkeeping" regarding technique to rid the system of Pyrmiid snails, see this article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-02/nftt/index.php">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-02/nftt/index.php</a>

HTH

kwl1763;142146 wrote: The best way is to check and clean everyday. They won't venture far from the clam and eventually you'll get them all. Just be sure to get any eggs also!

some six lines and butterflioes and othe wrasses may it but it's hit or miss and they certainly won't totally eliminate them.
Agreed. Manual removal is the only proven way to deal with it. Biological control is quite patchy because the snail hide during the day when the predatory animals are hunting.
Hanin, unfortunately, FW dips wont do anything for pyram snails.

Also, bear in mind, there are like 500 different species of pyram snails, and some are genralized mollusc feeders, so they may feed on your snails or other molluscs as well.

<span style="color: black;"><span style="color: black;">I could swear I read it somewhere. Non the less, I stand corrected.</span>
</span>

I ridded my clam of them many months ago just by tooth brushing the buggers off once or twice.

Back