QT Mishapp

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
Well im in New York today and I get a call from my wife. The QT power strip has surged I guess and tripped the protector. It must have happened last night as by the time she found the tank it was all the way down to 71F. She got everything squared away on power and got the tank back up to 80F over the period of the day.

I have 1 purple firefish in QT and my question is simply put, is 71 too cold for him or will he be ok?

temp is back to 80. Wife is trying to look after 2 screaming kids and im still in NYC so that I dont know. I have asked her to monitor feeding tomorrow if children allow it lol.

It's the rapidity of the swing, not so much the destination. That's a pretty rapid swing to come up, but shouldn't be lethal I wouldn't think. I've done about the same.

I would keep it cooler. No point keeping it at 80.

Anyway, the temp likely dropped gradually, and 71 is okay. It'll depend on how quickly it was raised to 80. How's he doing now? If he's visibly good, he'll likely be fine.

yeah if I was there I would have raised the temp slower. It took about 4 1/2 hours to go back up to 80.

Got home from New York today. QT looks good. Everything stable. Firefish hides a lot but did that before I left. Been in QT for 2 weeks so 4 more days and I think im going to move it to the main display tank.

Sometimes stress can take a few days to manifest itself in a problem but it will probably be OK.

I concur that 80 is a bit warm for a QT.

I've seen fish survive a drop from 78 to 52 within 24 hours (malfunctioning chiller controller) and back up to 80 in another 24 (had to take the chiller offline pending new controller). One fish did perish in that mishap - ironically the one I'd have thought more likely to survive the cool water (Hamlet - Caribbean fish). I don't suggest trying that at home, but fish can be amazingly resilient.

Jenn

Back