QT tank

mvm

Market
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to set up a qt tank. I have a wet/dry filter I plan to use. I just put several bioballs in the sump of my 90. How long will it take to seed them with the beneficial bacteria?

Why are you going to go through this for a QT tank... IMHO it is overkill. All you need is a heater, a powerhead or two, and if it is fish only, a NO light and maybe some sort of sponge filter for biological filtration. Would be nice to put some different sized PVC pipe in there to give the fish some place to hide and feel save. I use a peguin mini filter on the back just cuz I had one laying around.

The reason that is all you want in there is you SHOULD set up and tear down your QT after every use. You should clean it out between uses and store it till needed. It would be best to throw out your biological filtration and use a "new" sponge filter the next time you QT something. You can store your "new" sponge filter in your tank a week or so prior to hen you know you are going to QT and it will be seeded with bacteria. I keep one in my tank at all times and when I use that one I pop a new one in there. It could be months till I need it again but it just sits in my sump.

To answer your original question, it should take a week or two for your bioballs to be good an seeded if that is what you decide to use.

I "second" several of Brandons points... I don't do a lot of water changes, but when I need the QT tank. that is a perfect time to do a 10 gallon water change. The QT water (e.g. 10 from the main) is mature with all the bacteria already there.

I then use a round air driven sponge filter and a powerhead and heater. NO PLUMBING :thumbs:

Then when you are done... Throw it out, clean it out, let it dry and you are ready for next time....

johnny

Agreed...

I have a 6 GAL QT just sitting empty with a all-in-one filter/light hood, small heater, thermometer and several pieces of PVC pipe sitting in the bottom. I keep the filter cartridge for the QT filter in my sump so it is full of bacteria already. I just do a quick 6 gallon water change and put the water in my QT tank....waaalaa...a QT tank!

I am not sure I understand your question. You can do either... The important part is you use a new filter each time and never put the one from your QT tank back in your main system.

Sorry. I meant what do you prefer? What's a more successful method?

We may be splitting off on two different points.

My idea of a QT tank is to isolate new arrivals and watch them for potential problems. The whole idea is not to use any medicine if possible. Simple fact: the less you use the better.

A hospital tank is roughly the same but with the use of medicine in mind.

It is the whole ounce of prevention as opposed to the pound of cure...

Also, getting new arrivals used to your water is a project in itself. Better if they don't have to defend themselves at the same time...

My $.02 worth

BTW, I believe in keeping QT tanks salty (at the high end) and warm (80ish). At the end of the quarantine, do a WC from the main and get it to those params.

johnny

Agreed... QT and hospital tanks are two different things. I do not think you treat new arrivals other then to give them a freshwater dip with Meth Blue before they hit the QT tank. Copper, formalin, and other treatments are harsh and should only be used if a problem is present after other treatments have not worked. You should not use it as a preventive, or that is just my $.02 worth. I know many LFS treat every new fish with copper, but I think t sometimes does more harm to a healthy fish then good!

Back