QT tank

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
So I heard the Petco dollar per gallon sale is coming up and I was thinking about picking up a tank for QT. What size tank would you recommend so that I will be able to have larger fish inside and I will be able to effectively use medications. What would you recommend for filtration so that I can use medications not sure if a sponge filter is ok or to. Let me know what you use in your QT.

How "large" of a fish? I use a 10g but have only had smaller fish in it. I would assume a 20long or a 40br would be good for larger fish.

HiImSean;964554 wrote: How "large" of a fish? I use a 10g but have only had smaller fish in it. I would assume a 20long or a 40br would be good for larger fish.

In the future I will be QTing some larger tangs(naso) and want to make sure that they will be able to stay in the tank.

I use a HOB filter with some matrix that's been in my sump for a while and a powerhead, nothing fancy.

You'll probably want some type of filter so that you can add carbon after med treatment of the livestock. If you use matrix from another seasoned setup, you'll want to remove the matrix while you are medicating the QT. You may get by with just using a sponge filter if you are throwing away the QT water once your healthy fish is ready for the display tank. .... just my 1/2 cent.

Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;964581 wrote: You'll probably want some type of filter so that you can add carbon after med treatment of the livestock. If you use matrix from another seasoned setup, you'll want to remove the matrix while you are medicating the QT. You may get by with just using a sponge filter if you are throwing away the QT water once your healthy fish is ready for the display tank. .... just my 1/2 cent.

Wannabee

Could you use the same matrix after medicating?

I would not... I would say, the only way I would reuse it would be bleaching, vinegaring, or peroxiding... Then wash well and reuse..

Just my $.02

LSU_fishFan;964595 wrote: Could you use the same matrix after medicating?

You could use the matrix again after you are for sure that the medication is gone through using charcoal, water changes, etc. to absorb any leftover medicines from the treatment. The reason I stated in a previous post about removing the established matrix from your display tank because any medicines may affect the living organisms from the established matrix. You could always have a backup established matrix from the display tank just in case the medicines affect the other matrix in the hospital tank.

Wannabee

my qt is 20g long with hob filter with matix and sponge media. If I was to go bigger I would use my 40g breeder with cannister filter.

Matrix is cheap enough not to have to reuse. I would just keep two bags of it in your DTs sump so you can use it after medicating.

I would't think there would be that much to skim in a qt but I cannot see it hurting.

I have a brand new never been used aqueon 55 gallon for sale if you want a 48" tank . $60

Bdooley;964989 wrote: I have a brand new never been used aqueon 55 gallon for sale if you want a 48" tank . $60
Ill think about it. Do you have a stand or any other accessories for it?

Regarding Matrix - you need to have some sort of biological filtration. Seeded Matrix is excellent. Keep it in there while medicating. If you need to discard it afterward, so be it - replace it with more seeded Matrix.

It's inexpensive and efficient. Keep a bag seeding in your sump at all times. If you move it to another tank, replace it so the next batch starts seeding.

Matrix: It's the best kept secret in the aquarium hobby.

Jenn

Back