Question about a QT Tank.

23cnhit

Market
Reaction score
ok, have a few questions about QT. I am looking to add a powder blue tang and a surgeonfish to my tank. I have 3 tangs already in the tank showing NO signs of ich for 5 months now. They all get along great. I have a 10 gallon tank I can make into a QT tank. How long does it need to be up and running to use as a QT tank? Do I need to let it cycle or what?

Take some cycled media from your main tank. You can try to manage waste with conditioners or water changes but that is too stressful imo. I'd ensure the tank is completely cycled using media/rock from the main tank.

If you plan on quarantining both fish at the same time, a 10 gallon tank would be too small. If you plan on using a copper treatment as a precaution for ich, the average medication period is 2 weeks.

I would recommend introducing the fish to the qt and allow them to adjust for a few days before beginning amy treatments.

I wouldn't use copper on a tang, if you can avoid it. Especially a Powder (insert colour here). They don't tolerate it well.

Unless the tang is super tiny, a 10 gallon is way too small and it will stress out. Even if it is super tiny, it's a tiny tank for a tang.

Jenn

I would go to the petco sale and buy another 10 and use tank transfer method if you're only concern is ich. If done properly, it's bullet proof for ich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's an article I wrote some years ago that should answer most questions about quarantine.

If you don't have a large enough tank, use a food-grade plastic box. Think outside the glass box.

Jenn
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Back