Question about adding onto existing halide lights

genesisblue

Market
Reaction score
Hey all,

I currently have a fixture that has a 250 watt double ended metal halide with 2x 96 watt compact flourescent and moonlights. About 6 months ago I upgraded from a 36" wide tank to a 125 gal (72" long) tank. So, the fixture does not light the whole tank up completely. I was thinking about getting 2 250 watt pendants to hang on each side. If I got with a lower wattage halide (like 150 or 175) is that going to look really weird? My feeling is that I should stick with 250watt, but figured I'd toss it out there to see what you all think.

Thanks !

Adam

If you were to add two lower wattage lights on each side of the 250w, and keep everything balanced, it'd probably look ok. If you're adding just one more, then it'll look very strange.

Either way, I'd recommend using the same bulb manufacturer, color temperature, etc, or you'll see a difference between the two sides of the tank.

In a weeek...Like next friday I will be putting up a 72" 2x250,4x96 fixture up for sale for $150 w/o ballast (using it to overdrive my new lights) or $300 with ballast..I have to order the new ballast and its $150 so the fixture is still only $150 your just paying what I pay for the ballast

Back