Question about auto-topoff units -- which one to buy?

soarin'

Market
Reaction score
I am getting ready to go away for 2 weeks and I need to get an auto-topoff unit, and want to know what you guys think.

I can get a simple unit at autotopoff.com for about $50, or I can get the Tunze Osmolator for about $200.

I like the Tunze unit in that it looks the safest, but wanted to see what you guys think -- there's always expensive stuff to buy for tanks -- next up is a controller.

I have two tanks that I need to get an ATO for, but the second one is a 55 that is running without livestock other than Xenia and GSP, so I figure the I can let the second one go with just an occasional fillup by a tank-watcher, but my smaller 30 gallon can lose a gallon a day of water at times, and that will start one of the pumps running dry.

What are your experiences with auto-topoff units and what do you recommend?

Which ever one you use make sure you have to float sensors one to turn on the pump when low and also one to turn off the pump if the first one gets stuck on.

Check this out
a>

I am an auto top off guy. Love mine and have had it for over a year. I use the aqua lifter pump and two switch version. Never failed me yet.

Joe

Thanks guys !

It looks like aquabuys sells these -- it's half the price of the Tunze osmolator, so that sounds pretty good.

Another vote for the JBJ. Had it about 3 years without a hitch. Never even cleaned the float switches like I know I probably should've...

roundman;190668 wrote: Which ever one you use make sure you have to float sensors one to turn on the pump when low and also one to turn off the pump if the first one gets stuck on.

Check this out
http://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html">http://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html</a>[/QUOTE]

Ditto that!
I got a float switch for mine before I left town but forgot to top off the containment.
:doh:
It worked great until it ran out of water...then it fried my pump!

I picked the unit up on eBay for about 30 bucks. (Ocean....something).Other than the above mentioned feature...I love it!

Good luck.

I have a 20G setup and I want to buy this unit for the Elos but I am not sure what kind of pump I need to pump the water from the reservoir to the sump.

the jbj setup will work with your set up get a mj600 i had it on my solana and was the best part of my tank.

Main lesson I learned with an ATO is to unplug it if you are drip acclimating a coral or fish so you don't overload the system with kalk enriched water if you are also running a Nilsen.

The Tunze I have pumps quite well thru a MRC Nilsen I have, so if that is something you will do, no worries there. Just be sure to use a check valve between the pump output and the Nisen valve. This keeps Kalkwasser from backsiphoning into your reservoir.

Dave

if you dont want to do any manual labor at all (ie - stripping wires) check out http://www.autotopoff.com">www.autotopoff.com</a>

great service (though not by phone) and great product. i bought one for my brother and so far so good.

MarkL;215721 wrote: the jbj setup will work with your set up get a mj600 i had it on my solana and was the best part of my tank.

Yeah, that thing works like a charm! Good choice on an auto-topoff Mark! Also, yeah, make sure you unplug your ATO every time you do something with your tank. I keep forgetting like when I change water or drip acclimate, or clean something, so I have it on a powerstrip with my powerheads so that it turns off when i turn anything else off.

I have to say that I had problems with the JBJ. I use an aqualifter pump and the JBJ would frequently (everyday or more) lock out (I assume due to time). I tried to open it and turn the screw as indicated on their website, but it never worked. I now use a Reef Fanatic ATO.

Back