Question about homemade rock

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
Our 125g was full of homemade rock when we got it. Now, 18+ months later, it's become quite brittle. Some of it has even broken into small bits.

I'm probably just going to throw all of this away, since I'm concerned about what might be released in the water as this disintegrates. Would everyone concur that the best idea is to get rid of it? Would it have any use at all, like in a sump or a bubble trap?

I'm just hoping for a concensus so Loren won't try to cling to it. He loves all that purplish oatmeal looking stuff.

Sounds like whoever made the rock did not use enough cement. Too much aggregate; such as sand, oyster shells, and not enough cement for strength.

I forgot to answer the where can I use it question. Put it in the sump. I use my broken up pieces in my return area, kind of like a bubble trap. Only issue is it continues to deteriorate the particles could be picked up by your pump and make your display water cloudy.

Linda Lee;282809 wrote: Our 125g was full of homemade rock when we got it. Now, 18+ months later, it's become quite brittle. Some of it has even broken into small bits.

I'm probably just going to throw all of this away, since I'm concerned about what might be released in the water as this disintegrates. Would everyone concur that the best idea is to get rid of it? Would it have any use at all, like in a sump or a bubble trap?

I'm just hoping for a concensus so Loren won't try to cling to it. He loves all that purplish oatmeal looking stuff.

I don't think that you're at risk from it breaking up....if you went in with a hammer and smashed it all at once it might be enough to shift Ph, but it's aged enough that it's not a concern.

I bet it has coraline covering it pretty well, you could always give little pieces to members with new tanks to seed with. I would go ahead and break it up a little.

Linda if you decide to break it up and give it as seed rock....let me know :)

NotiReef;282910 wrote: Linda if you decide to break it up and give it as seed rock....let me know :)

You're welcome to some. There is plenty of coraline, but the rock itself is not very pretty. It would probably be fine in the sump or hidden under/behind more attractive live rock.

I'll bring some buckets of this stuff to the meeting, if anyone wants some.

Yep,

would like to seed my tank too.
Since we're practically neighbours I could pick up a handful any time.

Things like these are why I need to finally take a day off of work and come to a meeting. Mmmmmmmmmm buckets o rubble.
If they are getting this pourous you should throw them in your own sump

Linda Lee;282916 wrote: You're welcome to some. There is plenty of coraline, but the rock itself is not very pretty. It would probably be fine in the sump or hidden under/behind more attractive live rock.

I'll bring some buckets of this stuff to the meeting, if anyone wants some.

thanks Linda...see you at the meeting :)

Back