Question about MH lighting.

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
Never used MH lighting. Not saying I'm going to use them.Just getting info on them.
What do they use in canopies in the250 watt range that is fairly small.And that is a good unit and what ballest is good . Again ,it would be in a canopy.

I use an icecap ballast for my DE 250. Love it. Currently looking into new reflectors. Hamilton Cayman Sun and Lumen Max Elite are the front runners.

Do they still make icecap ballast. Some say they discontinued them.Need more imput.Thanks for the info on the reflector s.

I'm not sure if Icecap ballasts are still made but they are readily available on eBay most of the time. ARO ballasts are made exactly the same way and look exactly like the "raw" Icecaps. Now Icecap did make an enclosed electronic ballast as well. I've used both with equal success. I've also used Blueline and Galaxy ballasts. Both of these companies make dual 250's so you only have one power cord to deal with.

As for reflectors....it really depends on what you want the light to do and how much coverage you are aiming to get. There are a number of good quality reflectors on the market. Lumenbright, PFO's, Hamilton's are all nice units.

Thanks Jeff,was hoping you would join in.As far as reflectors, The area of covage, at the most 24"×24".At the least 20"×20".The depth 24".Would be going in canopy,two of them.Roof of canopy is 13"off the water line.Is that a problem.And is there a specific reflector that is recommended. Will heat be an issue?

Fishlips;1032851 wrote: Thanks Jeff,was hoping you would join in.As far as reflectors, The area of covage, at the most 24"×24".At the least 20"×20".The depth 24".Would be going in canopy,two of them.Roof of canopy is 13"off the water line.Is that a problem.And is there a specific reflector that is recommended. Will heat be an issue?

You will create heat in a canopy. No two ways around it. Just the nature of the beast. I would look at the Lumen Max Elite if you are going mogul bulb...or the Lumen Max 3 if you want to use DE bulbs. PFO makes a very similar reflector to the Lumen Max 3 and I've gotten great coverage from those (and actually just sold a pair). Lumen Bright reflectors are another great mogul bulb option.

Back