Question for bottom of tank.

coblerx4

Market
Reaction score
I have a light below my tank for my fuge. I have noticed that I now have a lot of red algea growing on the glass at the bottom of the tank under the sand because of the light. Is this good or bad? Should I cover up the underside of the tank from the ligh? Thanks

Never thought about this!! I will keep my eye on this thread... Lets see what the pros have to say...

red algae? Like cyano or coraline? I personally have painted all the bottoms of my tanks black...... On the outside obviously. If its cyano, this could be cause by other factors like high nutrients or low flow. If its coraline don't realy need to worry because it'll cover the bottom of your tank soon enough.

I have the same problem.

I don't believe this can be a good thing. I am going to cover the bottom of the tank with contact paper.

That's an interesting question: what are the implications of lighting an anaerobic (presumably) area of the tank?

I'd think if algae is growing it would kill the anaerobic conditions since the algae would presumably produce oxygen, but that's just a guess.

I have had the light there for the last 5 months and have not had any problems with the tank yet. I was worried for the long term and the algea has now covered the whole bottom of the tank. So since this would not be the case in the ocean I would rather be safe.

Back