question for T5 pros, yes pros

ouling

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">I am considering a Lumen Bright 250W DE pendant powered by a M80 Ballast and </span><span style="color: black;">Phoenix</span><span style="color: black;"> 14k bulb. Yes, mucho PAR for a 12’’ deep tank.</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">Would this setup be better than having 12 X 24W T-5s? I get a very good price on the 4 bulb Finnex 24’’ T-5's-which only have a single reflector for all 4 bulbs.</span>
<span style="color: black;"></span>
<span style="color: black;">I would get 3 of them to complete the setup.</span>
<span style="color: black;">The difference in price is negligible. </span>
<span style="color: black;">Which one would you get for a colorful 24 X 24 X 12h SPS tank?</span>
<span style="color: black;">Thanks</span>

IMO, the T5 set up with only 1 reflector for all the bulbs is a waste of your money. It's proven that T5's are only "truly' effective with a reflector per bulb. Also IMO you might as well go with the Iwasaki 15K 175W....you save power with wattage and only lose 1ppfd over the Phoenix. Unless you want the Phoenix for the color.....and you want the DE over the SE. And personally I'd rather go SE over DE because you have more bulb choices. If you want to talk LB's, let me know.

Yes you are correct! I was thinking the same thing about the one reflector deal, being inefficient and such.

I thought about the 175W Iwasaki but I can't live with the color. The tank is more for looks rather than growth. I use to have 800Ws of EVC 10ks over a 65 gallon tank... Not the best in my novice opinion. For the color, the Phoenix 14k paired with M80 Ballast cannot be beat by any setup. Also, the Lumen Bright Mini's enables me to lift the thing 16'' up to eliminate a good amount of heat.

What do you think?

I'm running 250 Helio' 20K over my tank and like the color. It's less par but not monochrome in color as with the Phoenix. It's on a LumenMax 3 and I like the light spread with the reflector.

The Iwasaki 15K will be too much for a 12" deep tank. As glxytrix said you need one reflecter per T5 lamp.

THe MH setup would be better. BY FAR better.

The MH would be the better choice for the reasons listed above. Another positive would be the cost of lamp(s) replacement (12 T5 bulbs vs the 1 MH bulb). Depending on your particular setup and preference, you might want to also consider the Lumenarc reflector for the additional light spread it would provide. Lee, do you get 24" X 24" coverage with one LB?

the LB minis are good for 24x24 coverage at 14" off the water. Unfortunately that's their drawback, they need to be higher off the water, if not you'll get a spot light in your tank and you'll fry your corals. The best part of these over the LAs is you have reduced heat (because its higher up) you get roughly the same coverage and you'll get higher par! But obviously the aren't for everyone, not everyone can put them at the recomended height. If your whole go is for color, then go with the mh setup.

heh and not to mention you'd fry he hell out of everthing with 12 t5 bulbs on that small tank. Alan only has 8 on his 120g and things are growing amazingly well!

yea that was my goal with the lumen bright. I can put them higher up and get the same PAR values with less heat. There will be no canopy so height is not a problem.

Thanks guys.

I love my t5s, but for your application I can see a single MH being a better alternative.

Back