Question for those running 250w SE halides.

showtime305

Supporting
Reaction score
What color lamps do you run? How does the color appear in the tank? Do you supplement with actinic? How's the growth? Can you post pictures of your tank with the lights?

The only way you'll find the answer you're looking for is to go and look at peoples' tanks with different types of lights. It's impossible to describe a shade of blue, and rate of growth is subjective to all but the most experienced hobbiest.

Cameras can't take accurate pictures of color like that, and even if you got close, you'd have to use that same camera or exact settings (color balance, in particular) for every tank's picture.

You're right Chris. I'm just trying to find a direction to start in when I get ready to replace my bulbs. I'm looking for bulbs that I can get a slight blueish glow from without actinic lighting, but also something that can promote good growth. I'm leaning toward something in the 14k range.

<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman';">I was running 2x 250w XM 15K's on my 30 for a while... looks great without supplemental lighting and the XM's are known to have pretty good PAR output.</span></span>

I personally use Hamilton 14k's, and have used Phoenix 14's in the past (although I don't think they come in SE format). Just remember that the bluer the bulb, the less PAR you'll get, which means less overall growth.

i had two 250w single ended coralife 20k's running on my 120 gallon. It looked real blue in the begining but after they broke in it turned more of a white/bluish mix. I really liked the look and my growth wasnt bad, but now that ive experienced the 20k bulb i prefer the 10k's because it shows more of the fish's true color, it seemed to me that anything that was white seemed bluish which got rather annoying...

I run 1-XM 10K w/ 2-95w Actinic 03 VHO lamps over my tank (36"); the light is white with a hint of yellow with just the MH on (Icecap E-Ballast), and a crisp white with just a hint of blue when the actinics are on.

- Michael

I'm thinking about giving the Hamilton 14k or the XM 15k a try. Hamilton 14k's were recommended to me before.

Back