Question on Zoa's

mschum

Market
Reaction score
I have a couple question on the zoas in the picture below, are they zoas? I thought they were but they seem like they are getting bigger like Palys. They appear to have a stain on them that is spreading, it appears to be very dark green or black, is this bad? Ever see it before? Thanks

Capture.jpg
alt="" />

can't really tell with pic. get some more and we can help u better..

Its a type of algae like diatoms when their water condition is not good theyll get a fungus/algae that will grow on them. Normally they are able to just "slime" off the algae/fungus but when the water conditions are not well for them or they are irritated they will not produce their slime which protects them.

But in this case it looks like they are recovering from it due to them being open, try leave them be and they should be alright, if you start scrapping them with those brushed up there you will either irritate them or poke holes in the zoas which will lead to killing the polyps.

If the fungus/algae seems not to go away or they do not open up for a few day then try to increase the amount of flow they are in

Thanks everyone for the input, the stuff appears to be going away now, I can also see a little chunk of it that was growing next to the them, appears to be a dark algae. I think they will be fine now.

Back