Question????

jason sartain

Market
Reaction score
OK,Since I always have food,snail's and crab's in my two corner overflow's,I was thinking about putting a 1-2" sandbed in the bottom of them,kinda like a mini-fuge.
My intake pipe's are about 3/4's of the way up,so I don't think I would have very much turbulace in the bottom.
Anybody ever done this?
If so what's the pro's and con's?

my question is how you would grow macro algae? sounds like a good idea though.

i wouldn't think that there would be a problem, it would be good for that extra DSB though, at least thats what I gather. I might do that when I build my overflow depend on what others say.

It could make it hard to service if you ever needed to or had to move. I dont know how much extra benefit it would provide for you, guess it depends on how many sq in of space in the overflow base.

I can see it working, but with a sand bed, you'll never be able to access the bulkhead for service, so you'll be SOL. Now, if you got a pump and kept good circulation in there, I could see several large pieces of live rock being very beneficial.

I have macros and 1/2 sand bed as well in both of my overflows, I am sure it is not recomended but when I decided to do it I could not think of any negatives. I did it because there was a buildup of waste at the bottom of each.

Back