Questions about Band Saw usage

mcphock

Market
Reaction score
As my tank has aged, the cement I used to hold my aquascape together has crumbled. Time to start over! I've got my new sand and rock sitting in the garage.

However, I've grown tons of corals directly on my current rock. I do not wish to re-use the rock, nor to retain any corals.

Could I use a band saw to slice up the rock? What is the maximum thickness rock thickness a saw can plow through? Otherwise, not sure what my options are. I've got 100s of zoas, and this is the most efficient way I can think of to prepare them for sale.

Thanks!

When you refer to a "band saw" are you talking about one specifically made for corals or are you talking about a general use band saw like you would find in a woodworker's shop?

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a difference between the two in how they operate. The difference is most likely in the blade although I've never seen or used a coral saw. I've used my wood band saw with a dull blade to cut rock without any issues. It would cut however thick the throat on the saw is. I've also used a circular saw with a masonry blade in it to cut the rock giving it a line to break from. You could do the same (and I have) with a dremel tool and masonry disc. Then just chisel along the cut line.

Hopefully somebody with a coral saw will chime in.

My inland has a clearance of 3 1/4 " and if you push to hard the blade will come off the wheel. Make sure you use a mask and eye protection! It took 3 different antibiotics to clear the infection out of my chest and almost 3 months before I could tell it was totally gone. I was cutting outside but Hal said I had a cloud around me.:yuk:

Raz0945;1061929 wrote: My inland has a clearance of 3 1/4 " and if you push to hard the blade will come off the wheel. Make sure you use a mask and eye protection! It took 3 different antibiotics to clear the infection out of my chest and almost 3 months before I could tell it was totally gone. I was cutting outside but Hal said I had a cloud around me.:yuk:

+1. Like Jeff suggested, I would score it with a Dremel and use a chisel to break it up.

One of the MOST useful tools to cut live rock I've EVER found is a Rockwell oscillating cutter. They also offer pretty good precision.
I've used mine MANY times on LR.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I was speaking about a coral saw, but I wasn't sure if there was a difference either.

I do have a dremel, but I've only used it a few times. What disc would be best for this task? Maybe there's a masonry one for cutting stone.

Also, great suggestion about eye and respiratory protection. Since these are mostly zoas, I'd need to be especially</em> careful.

SnowManSnow;1061934 wrote: One of the MOST useful tools to cut live rock I've EVER found is a Rockwell oscillating cutter. They also offer pretty good precision.
I've used mine MANY times on LR.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

This I the gospel. Except I use the harbor freight version. Works as good and mine is almost 5 years old now and I use it for everything. The blades from there are decent but I buy the blade combo packs during Christmas at lowes or hd

McPhock;1061939 wrote: I was speaking about a coral saw, but I wasn't sure if there was a difference either.

I do have a dremel, but I've only used it a few times. What disc would be best for this task? Maybe there's a masonry one for cutting stone.

Also, great suggestion about eye and respiratory protection. Since these are mostly zoas, I'd need to be especially</em> careful.

There are masonry discs available for the dremel. The problem with the discs are they are small so the best you get are 1/4" score lines. I used this primarily for live rock only....score the line then use a stone chisel and hammer to break along the line. If you score it on four sides, the break is usually very clean depending on the rock type.

Oscillating tools (there are many names out there) have tile or masonry blades available that will also work and get you a deeper cut.

If you want a full cut, then a masonry blade in a 7-1/4" circular saw works very well. Same applies to a 10" or 12" chop saw with a masonry blade.

Very handy summarization. Thanks.

Given my experience with tools (hint: 0), I'll probably take the dremel option

Back