Questions about my sumprefugium plumbing

ace1204

Market
Reaction score
UPDATE time:
Got my tank drilled at Sals couple of days ago.
Got my plumbing settup awaiting the approval before gluing and have a question or 2 dont mind the dirty tank it still needs a little attention lol
also i will have SS bands around the vinyl tubing connections

Questions:
1. I have my aqua c remora skimmer settup on the drain side of my sump is that ok? its really the only place i think it will fit. I know i will have to drop the pump down below water level.
2.Im putting the refugium in the middle part of the sump bc its the biggest would that be the best benefit?
3.As you can see by the picture a 1" 90 MPT elbow does not come up to the trim, how can i fix this i obviously dont want the water line at the top of the 90 where it is currently located. and where can i get a black 90 that i will need?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
180547=10981-update.jpg
>
180547=10981-update.jpg
class="gc-images" title="update.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
180547=10980-update2.jpg
>
180547=10980-update2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="update2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
180547=10976-update3.jpg
>
180547=10976-update3.jpg
class="gc-images" title="update3.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
180547=10978-update4.jpg
>
180547=10978-update4.jpg
class="gc-images" title="update4.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
180547=10979-update5.jpg
>
180547=10979-update5.jpg
class="gc-images" title="update5.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Really, this is the type settup sal has on his big tank and its silent at the store.

dawg, wouldn't it be more effective for him to just put a screen on there and have the screen pointed outward for the exit into the sump

Wouldnt that bring my water level down to low though i think i need it above the hole bc of how low it is drilled

the level in the tank will depend on your pump and the size of the bulkhead. if your pump is too much the water level will be higher than if it were undersized. to raise the level of the elbow, just add some pvc to the height. also would add a strainer to keep snails from making a journey to the sump.

may also want to consider a t with valve for the pipe feeding the display so that you can dial in the volume you want delivered to the display.

etoh_is_good;181053 wrote: also would add a strainer to keep snails from making a journey to the sump.
Or worse yet not making the journey all the way to the sump.

etoh_is_good;181053 wrote: the level in the tank will depend on your pump and the size of the bulkhead. if your pump is too much the water level will be higher than if it were undersized. to raise the level of the elbow, just add some pvc to the height. also would add a strainer to keep snails from making a journey to the sump.

may also want to consider a t with valve for the pipe feeding the display so that you can dial in the volume you want delivered to the display.

Thanks def. gonna do these

couldnt i just use a ball valve or gate valve to throttle it back thats what i was planning on doing.

dawgdude;181273 wrote: Im going to have to disagree.

Lets say you have a 600gph overflow at max and your pump is 700gph, Your tank will eventually overflow because your water level will slowly rise. You cant regulate the water level with a larger pump.
In a way you are both right. the higher the water gets over the overflow the more its able to flow. So eventually you will get to an equalibrium and hope thats below the rim of the tank.

Yes you can throttle it back if its a pressure rated pump.

Also I am with dog on the overflow box and durso. I just converted my cube from just the elbow skimming to a durso and overflow and its really quiet.

So if i use a calfo style over flow box, durso, and ball valve to throttle back the amount of water returned to the tank, will this be a quiet system that will not flood my room lol?

That actually sounds like a good idea how would i support the return line coming over the top if i didnt decide to drill a middle hole?

i meant to reply last night, but my dsl did not want to connect to the arc site.

melev uses a 9.5 in a 55g tank. he turns the flow down using the flow with a t and ball valve with flow back to the sump. chekc out his website.

if you are going to design a overflow box from scratch, use the reefcentral calculators to determine the linear surface area for your current and future pumps.

the height of the bulkhead relative to the waterlevel will determine the maxflow. if your pump exceeds the max flow of the bulkhead, there's a high chance of overflow and flooding. check everything before you to decide fill the tank with saltwater.

etoh

I prsonally think one overflow would be fine on a 6-700gph pump. After you put some headheight on that pump its not going to even be close to those numbers. For instance for instance a mag7 at 4' of headheight only moves 450gph. a 1" bulkhead will handle that. Also if you use an overflow with teeth the chance of a clog will be next to impossible.

Hey ace, whats the height on your tank. I have an overflow I could hook you up with that I built for my tank and didn't use. Its built for a 20" inch tank but could be cut down if need be. I could also ripp a side off if you want to use it as a cornrer overflow.

overflow001jpgint.jpg
alt="" />

johnr2604;181512 wrote: I prsonally think one overflow would be fine on a 6-700gph pump. After you put some headheight on that pump its not going to even be close to those numbers. For instance for instance a mag7 at 4' of headheight only moves 450gph. a 1" bulkhead will handle that. Also if you use an overflow with teeth the chance of a clog will be next to impossible.

Hey ace, whats the height on your tank. I have an overflow I could hook you up with that I built for my tank and didn't use. Its built for a 20" inch tank but could be cut down if need be. I could also ripp a side off if you want to use it as a cornrer overflow.

overflow001jpgint.jpg
alt="" />

height is 19.5" from bottom of the tank to the bottom of the trim, is 20# the right height for a 30 cube bc im buying a 30 cube from one of my friends this week and i want to drill it as well, what would you want for the overflow? Thanks man

ace1204;181633 wrote: height is 19.5" from bottom of the tank to the bottom of the trim, is 20# the right height for a 30 cube bc im buying a 30 cube from one of my friends this week and i want to drill it as well, what would you want for the overflow? Thanks man
It actually looks like this would work in either tank. Yes, I built this for my cube but ended up trying something else. If you want it I'll give it to you just hook me up with a frag or something later down the road. I got the acrylic for free so I'm just paying it forward.

Back