Questions

curator

Market
Reaction score
In RO/DI, does DI stand for...distilled?

I read that the ouside of the tank should not be cleaned with window cleaner...is this true?

Are trace amounts of tap water detrimental? I'm speaking of rinsing things with tap water...i.e. sponges, filter pads, etc.

When warming water to do a water change, is there anything wrong with heating small amounts in a microwave in order to bring the mix to the proper temperature?

Let's see, give me a minute, I'll think of a few more!

Thanks very much.

In RO/DI, does DI stand for...distilled? <span style="color: red;">De-Ionized</span>

I read that the ouside of the tank should not be cleaned with window cleaner...is this true? <span style="color: red;">Its not recommended, but I know many people do. The less chemicals near the tank the better.</span>

Are trace amounts of tap water detrimental? I'm speaking of rinsing things with tap water...i.e. sponges, filter pads, etc. <span style="color: red;">Nope, I have trace amounts in my tank all the time when I clean out the spnges/filter pads. No issues that I know of in my experiences.</span>

When warming water to do a water change, is there anything wrong with heating small amounts in a microwave in order to bring the mix to the proper temperature? <span style="color: red;">I doubt that will effect any of the water chemistry, will kill bacteria at least. I use a spare heater to pre-heat my water changes. I also change about 32 GAL at a time.</span>

De Ionized (sp)....I think rinsing off a sponge in tap is fine. Not sure about the microwave but what I do is fill the tubb half way with warm water and put my container in there for a little while it will heat up the water quick.

flyingarmy;104914 wrote: I read that the ouside of the tank should not be cleaned with window cleaner...is this true? <span style="color: red;">Its not recommended, but I know many people do. The less chemicals near the tank the better.</span>

Also not recommended for acrylic tanks--may cause crazing, etc. I use plastic cleaner on mine, but it's pretty enclosed.

A small spray bottle with water/vinegar mix works quite well. And if your PH is a little to high, just squirt a little in the tank! (J/K, not recommended thought would work)

Geehh;104916 wrote: Also not recommended for acrylic tanks--may cause crazing, etc. I use plastic cleaner on mine, but it's pretty enclosed.

This is an important point and a warning to acrylic tank owners.

I worked for a company that used a heavy gauge acrylic part...end users of this were mainly petro-chemical type companies.

We started receiving complaints and returns that this acrylic part was crazing, cracking and becoming brittle. After a year of testing we discovered that a component of air freshner and other household cleaning products would in fact immediatly cause the acrylic to craze and eventually fail.

Sounds silly but be careful.

vingar & water is your best bet. If you get it in the tank it will not matter. Isopryl Alcohol (& water if you like) works well as long as you spay on paper towel away from tank. It evaporates very quickly without fumes.

Curator;104913 wrote: In RO/DI, does DI stand for...distilled?

deionization

Curator;104913 wrote: I read that the ouside of the tank should not be cleaned with window cleaner...is this true?

I use it but I have windex wipes so I'm not spraying stuff - otherwise spray the towel away from the tank, and wipe the glass.

Curator;104913 wrote: Are trace amounts of tap water detrimental? I'm speaking of rinsing things with tap water...i.e. sponges, filter pads, etc.

We have very good water in atlanta and suburbs. I used tap water for one year in my reef tank and everything is fine. I also use tap to clean stuff out.

Curator;104913 wrote: When warming water to do a water change, is there anything wrong with heating small amounts in a microwave in order to bring the mix to the proper temperature?

I can't see this doing any harm.

We have warmed water in the microwave as well as on the stove.

Another great way to clean the exterior of the glass is with RO/DI water and a good clean cloth. After washing with the cloth dry the tank with another clean cloth/paper towel. The RO/DI will not streak or leave residue.

Back