Quick Help

jbadd99

Market
Reaction score
Long and short - I moved. The fish are stressed. My water is cloudy. Levels are good.

I think I'm not getting enough oxygen in the system since I don't have a filter or skimmer to skim off the protein buildup on top of the water.

Setup is just a 40b with a power head and heater.

I have a rather thick buildup of protein on the top of the water. Any ideas on removing this without any water? I won't be set up to be able to make water for another day or two.

It would be helpful to point the powerhead toward the surface to allow more oxygen to enter the tank. The LFS sell s ro/di water and salt water that would allow you to make a water change. Check your salinity and bring it down a little, more oxygen in lower salinity water. Holley

Raz0945;1035524 wrote: It would be helpful to point the powerhead toward the surface to allow more oxygen to enter the tank. The LFS sell s ro/di water and salt water that would allow you to make a water change. Check your salinity and bring it down a little, more oxygen in lower salinity water. Holley

Already directed the PH upward. I can get water, the issue of the protein film still remains of i do a water change.

Noted about the salinity.

Fish net the top of the water. Won't get everything but should help. Could also use a filter sock which would work better.

Shot you a PM

If it's just fish, I don't think that you will need RODI to mix salt. Just use dechlorinator.

Oh and I can add a HOB ( I'll scoop some Matrix media from the sump) filter to that list if you need.

scoop up some water from the tank in a pitcher and slowly pour it back in from a couple feet above the tank. that should help oxygenate it in the short term. youll need to do this a couple time every few hours

All good suggestions above. Water movement at the surface, blot the scum with either a paper towel or a coffee filter. If you have a cone type coffee filter (paper), you can swirly it around and skim some of it off (the basket type won't work so well it's not funnel shaped.)

Jenn

Thanks guys.

The paper towel helped bunches. Also added a little more prime and stability.

So far I've only lost my purple fire fish and my Achilles Tang seems to have injured and eye, but is still eating happily, so that's a plus...

Im doing a complete rebuild on the whole thing, but I'm restaining the stand and canopy, so it'll be another two weeks before the tank is ready for fish.

Did you reuse the old sand? If so, you'll want to do frequent water changes.

Back