Quick Media Question

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can put Purigen and Phosguard in the same filter bag?? Or will that mess with the effectiveness of either?

I don't know if it would hurt anything, but you can regenerate the Purigen. If you mix the two together you'd have to throw out the Purigen. It's nice to be able to re-use it.

dont they both do the same thing i know purigen is really small and requires a special bagas for the phosguard it might not work well being that its not getting as much flow threw the small wholes ...but i dont know i may be wrong dont quote me on this

you know what ..just spend the extra 99 cents and get another filter bag you cheap cuban

I dont think so.....Phosguard is obviously a phosphate remover but I believe Purigen just polishes the water somehow. That said, I dont understand the science behind the purigen but I am pretty confident that it makes my water clear as day.

PhosGuardâ„¢ rapidly removes phosphate and silicate from marine and freshwater aquaria

Purigenâ„¢ is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigenâ„¢ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds.

lol....somehow I can always count on your amazing logic victor....its actually nothing more than I just finished cleaning the tank and I wanted to put media back in...I am replacing the carbon and purigen this go around but I wanted to add some phosguard to help kill the bit of hair algae that I have.

Melissa, thanks for the inlput. I am not too worried about being able to renew the purigen at this point because Ill be breaking down the tank soon so that wont be an issue....as long as they both are still effective I am hhappy with that.....

Otherwise, ill do what Voctore says and go spend .99 ...but then that means I have to leave the house tomorrow and something tells me I am not going to feel like leaving the house tomorrow.....I am more a lazy Cuban than a cheap cuban.

I found an extra filter bag lying around...just used that.

thanks for the help

Back