Quiet One Vs Mag Drive

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
I have a Mag 7 now (only running for 1 month) but I feel like it's a little louder then I thought it would be. Any of you guys used Mag an Quiet One pumps can compare? im looking at the Quiet One 3000 to replace the Mag 7.

Actually I guess I got lucky here as I bought the mag 7 before my sump. My return chamber is 4" exactly. Quiet One 3000 is showing 4.02" wide where as the Mag 7 is only 3.8" wide. I guess the slight hum is here to stay.

my mag 7 hums also but it is about 6 years old i dont remember being this loud a few years ago. i am going to clean it ln vinegar to see if that helps. i dose a lot of kalkwasser

Following, I've been looking for a quiet return pump but have been unable to compare any. I've heard ehiem makes a quiet pump also.

Ive had 5 or 6 quiet one pumps and like 12+ mag drives.

Mag drives are louder, but not very loud. Shafts break here and there(can be replaced with carbon fiber rods that are like $10 for a 3' section). Other then that they are great. Just put a mouse pad under them and bam much quieter. Plus they can be run internally or external.

Quiet ones are not quiet but not as loud as mag drives(honestly not really much difference to my ear) but I have never had one last more then a year. They burn out, impeller shafts seize up because they tend to run hot, impellers break easily, shafts break easily, shroud clips break easily. All in all they are crap.

Oh and with any pump, if its hard piped a section of flex hose will cut most of the vibration noise out as well.

Big D;950418 wrote: You might want to look into one of the DC variable pumps available now. They use less than half the wattage as Mag drive pumps which translates to less heat into the tank, you can adjust the flow rate to suite your needs, and they run nearly silent.

The 3000 series pump would be similar in volume to the Mag 7 and can be bought on the big auction site for around $85 shipped. Pretty sure it's smaller than a Mag7 too.

D

Yep, I use a DC Speedwave 790gph for my 60 cube, 100% pvc plumbing, and it's very silent. The skimmer sucking air is the loudest thing. Need to figure something out for that.

RedStang;950427 wrote: The skimmer sucking air is the loudest thing. Need to figure something out for that.

Is there a silencer on the intake line?

Ringo®;950428 wrote: Is there a silencer on the intake line?

A clear plastic thing with twin tubes sticking out one end? I'm completely new to sumps and real skimmers. Started with a biocube. It's really not that bad. It's just the return is so quiet the skimmer is the only thing that I can hear.

Yeah....looks like the thing on the left
Skimz_SV253_Oval_Protein_Skimmer_01.jpg
alt="" />

Cool, it has one. I probably made it sound worse than it really sounds lol! We always have something that we think can be improved on our tanks right?

<!-- gcu-updated ame -->http://youtu.be/Etl5VKq4dho<!-- gcu-updated /ame -->

Here is a DIY silencer on YouTube... Check it out

Back