Quieter skimmer?

rostato

Market
Reaction score
I have an aqua C Urchin skimmer with a maxi-jet 1200 and it is un-godly loud. I am getting sick of it.

My pluming and pumps are all quiet and if I could get this skimmer to stop sounding like a freight train I would be happy.

It's been running for about 3 months or more now, so it's broken in.

The only reason I am sticking with this one is that it has a small footprint and I bought it new.

Any ideas?

its the skimmer. It like a gurgling swooshing really annoying sound. It's all I hear when I am in the living room about 15 feet from the tank in my breakfast nook...

The maxi-jet is fine, I just included that for reference.

Not only that, it stilll doesnt pull much skimmate out.
If I can't get ot quieter, I would at least like it to perform a litle better...what can I do to the urchin to make it pull more crap out???

you could try and find some stiff plasic and cut it just a little larger than the "spray" section. then cut 4 peices of airline and wedge the "new cover" into that section. be sure there is a few gaps in the seal so air can get in...

hope it helps.

the remora pro I have came with it already in. I am not sure how loud it would be without it...

Jason

I am having a hard time picturing what your saying. Any pics? Sorry, I am a visual learner...

I will try and get a pic. I am not sure the Urchin is designed the same. I will see what I can find or take a pic.

Jason

Found a pic hope it will cross post if not just just cut and paste.

it didn't work hang on and I will get a link to the thread....

http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/aquac-nano-remora-reviews-44486.html">http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/aquac-nano-remora-reviews-44486.html</a>
about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Hope it helps...

Jason

Yes, that helps alot! Thanks! I didnt know the urchin was adjustable any other way than the collection cup height.

There is a way to adjust the bubbles? I just thought the little screw was in the injection pipe to clean it out every so often???

I think I have some plastic laying around somewhere. I will try that mod this weekend. Thanks for the help

Rockdog;223055 wrote: Found a pic hope it will cross post if not just just cut and paste.

it didn't work hang on and I will get a link to the thread....

http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/aquac-nano-remora-reviews-44486.html">http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/aquac-nano-remora-reviews-44486.html</a>
about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Hope it helps...

Jason[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOD! Seriously, you are the F'N man! I used a rubbery plastic piece from one of our tupperware lids (don't tell the woman) and then put some airline around the perimeter of it and it is now dead silent.

All I hear are the fans from my T5 fixture now, and I have no problem with that at all. You saved my skimmer from the trashcan.

This site rocks. Everyone is always helpful and has great ideas. Thanks again.

Chris

I can't take the credit for the idea...... I am just passing it on....
Glad to help....

What do you Fly... I see flying in your interests...

Jason

I haven't flown in months because it's so expensive. I actually quit flying right after I started instrument ground school. Too much money, and the fish tank isn't much cheaper. I was going to do it as a career, but theindustry sucks right now.

Anyway I got my PPL in a C-150 and then when I moved here I got reviewed for the PA-28 at the Robins AFB Aero Club. I like the Piper and the low wing MUUUCH better.

You?

C-172. working on my PPL. Have all the requirements, just have to bone up on the facts and go for the checkride!!

we will have to hit a fly-in some time... we could even trade frags.

Jason

Sounds good, although Atl's airspace is a PITA! I guess I didn't help myself by getting my PPL in Adel, GA. Never any traffic there.

I have flown the 172 a few times, and I am not a huge fan. The controls felt real heavy to me. I like the low wings better.

Back