R/O prefilter swap how-how often?

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Guys,
I have one of Marc Levenson's 100gpd ro/di units. Put it into use about 3/8/08. Noticed a couple weeks ago the flow rate of the product water had slowed a lot. I checked and the prefilter had turned an orangey brown in color, just like Marc illustrates on his website in the filter changing instructions.

I like the unit and ordered a new prefilter set, but it seems real soon to have to change out the prefilters at just 4 months, especially seeing how soft our water is in Atlanta.

Does a 4 month period between sediment filter changes sound normal for around here? Maybe there is a bit more muck in the tap water than I had thought.

I have never had the need for long term use of an RO unit until I got back into reefing 4 months ago.
Dave

Wow, that seems too early. But if they're brown, then its time. Mine last over a year, although I change them at the 1 year mark.

Skriz;197660 wrote: Wow, that seems too early. But if they're brown, then its time. Mine last over a year, although I change them at the 1 year mark.

You know, there were a couple major water line breaks in my area over the last few months. I wonder if this could have contributed to the early demise of the prefilter?

I bought a prefilter pack from Lowes. Didnt; realize you could get these locally. I just ordered a replacemetn set from Marc, so I'll keep his for the next time. I'll report back if this helps. If this doesn't then the flow restrictor may be clogged.
Dave

Flow is back to normal. I can only think these water main ruptures we had here put some extra sediment into the system that prematurely clogged the prefilters.

Glad this worked. I have a 210 gallon being delivered next week and I gotta start making water!:D
Dave

Back