R/O problem...

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
I've got a nice 100gpd RO system, and it's functioning great....except the auto shut off isn't working. When I have to make water for top off, I usually go down to the basement, turn on the feed line to the RO, check the TDS meter until it reads zero, and then begin filling up my container.

Tonight I finished running a line from the basement to my tanks, one on the first floor, other is the frag system in the basement. Problem is that the auto-shut off on my RO system isn't shutting it off. If I leave the feed on, and turn off the RO output, I can still hear waste water dripping even after several hours. My RO unit is being fed straight off the feed line to the house, before that thing that lowers the water pressure. I do not have a pressure gauge on the RO system, but I'd estimate that it's being fed with ~100psi of pressure.

What I think is happening is that the auto shut off isn't strong enough to close with that pressure. Since I'd rather not contribute to water abuse, nor sit there and waste it, I'm not really sure what to do.

My first though was when I install the auto-top off system, to run a 12v solenoid to the RO's feed line, therefore shutting it off the feed. That would work I suppose. Problem is I'm feeding 2 systems. If I shut the feed down, neither system will top off till one goes low. If I set up 2 feed lines to the RO, it still wont work because then both systems would get fed if one was low. Only way I can figure is to have 2 valves per feed, for a total of 4 solenoids.

It would be much easier to have the auto shut-off working, then I could use one solenoid per setup, instead of 2. Simplier, and cheaper.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, you have to have it on the input side. I did the same thing, and took me a while to figure out why my water bill was so high. With the solenoid on the output side, once the pressure builds up in the unit, it forces all of the water out of the waste line.

Yeah, but the RO unit comes with an auto shut off, that is supposed to shut off the input to the RO mechanically. I never had an issue with it before, but I was only feeding it ~50-60psi, not what I'm feeding it now. I wonder how I can lower the pressure I'm feeding the RO unti and see if that works somehow?

You can adjust the Regulator on your incoming waterline on your house to reduce your PSI and see if that helps. If not then just buy another Shut off valve yours may be faulty.

I'll have to install some sort of regulator infront of the RO unit. At first I had it installed on my house main AFTER the regulator, but it wasn't making enough pressure at all (I think the house pressure is turned down to 35-40psi or something....100gpd membrane was taking 5 hours to make 5 gallons lol).

I T'd off the incoming water supply to feed the RO with street water pressure which is really high (~100psi).

My RO system right now with the pressure it's seeing would laugh at a float valve....and has. I overflowed both 35gallon buckets when I first installed it.

TAftonomos;108750 wrote: .

My RO system right now with the pressure it's seeing would laugh at a float valve....and has. I overflowed both 35gallon buckets when I first installed it.

hmm, never heard of such a thing?? My resevoir has a float valve and when the resevoir fills up the float valve shuts off the RO unit. Do you have a ball valve on your supply line ?

More than likely your RO unit has an auto-shut off that mechanically shuts off the input line when it sees enough backpressure at the membrane. Problem with mine is it's not getting shut off, and keeps building pressure. It will get up so darn high you cannot unlock those guest fittings without relieving the pressure.

I've got a valve on the supply, but it's a 1/4 turn valve like you would see on a fridge water line.

I'll have to get a pressure gauge (?) from somewhere and see what the input line is seeing...

I got my pressure gauge from Air,Water,& Ice. I run my RO/DI after the regulator and turned my regulator on my house to around 50 psi. Worked well and I have better shower pressure as well. Ive thought about turning it back down a bit and just getting a booster pump,because Im not sure how the increased pressure will effect my plumbing on my house over time.

I tied mine in before the house reg also I want pressure to be as high as possable. The 60 psi i ran for the house was not enough for my water production needs. (I think most houses are 50-60 psi )

The problem was my street pressure was 130 - 140 wow i was suprised. so i did buy a seperate reg just for my RO ( note most hardware stores regs only go up to 70s psi.)

My auto shut off did not work that good ether. The high pressure may have damaged my auto shut off valve ( but i dont think so). I just think thier not that relieable in the first place. I would just try another auto shut off valve.

The RO membranes ive seen said 120 PSI max FWIW

I'll get another auto shut off, and look for a regulator for the RO feed line. HD or Lowes maybe?

Back