Rachel's Pink Ribbon Tank build.

rachell321

Market
Reaction score
So I had an idea a few months back to do an all pink tank, sell/auction/raffle it off in Oct, which is breast cancer awareness month, and donate the proceeds to the Susan G Komen foundation. For those of you that are unfamiliar with them, the are a dedicated to education and research about causes, treatment, and the search for a cure for breast cancer. I have been eagerly waiting to set this tank up and I am sooo happy it is finally up and running.
It is a standard 20g tank with the back painted black. It has a Coralife Aqualight Advanced 150w HM fixture. There is Currently a 10k bulb, but would like to replace with a 14k, or supplement with some blue somehow to get the colors to pop a bit more. There is a small HOB filter right now, but am going to upgrade to a HOB fuge. I want this tank to be very simple and easy to maintain.
I have 2 different zoas, and 2 different palys so far. They are in my main DT until this tank finishes cycling. In the end I would like for there to be a mix of all types of corals, but nothing that is tooo hard to keep. As for fish, I am VERY open to suggestions. Need something that is pink and can fit in a 20g and is safe around corals.
If you have anything you would like to donate to the tank, or have anything pink you would like to sell at a cheaper cost please PM me. If you are a sponsor and would like to partner up with me on this project and have the tank in your store when the time comes (aug/sept) please pm me!

Ok heres some tank shots, and the stuff I have so far to go into the tank.

DSC00798.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00802.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00799.jpg
alt="" />
13517063222.jpg
alt="" />
13517035771.jpg
alt="" />
13516996295.jpg
alt="" />
13516967736.jpg
alt="" />

just wanted to say thank you. My mom is a survivor.

As for pink corals, there are lots of pink mushrooms out there, as well as brains. Both are easy

Thanks guys! Becca, I am in no rush, and usually attend the meetings, we could just meet up next month.

Don't the Anthias usually require a larger tank? I saw a really cool fish, a Pink Leaf Fish, a type of scorpion fish, but is supposedly reef safe. It may mess with inverts, but to me thats no biggie. Very bright pink, and not a common fish by any means. No other fish would be able to go in here though.

Thanks for the tip with the fiji purple light! I need to either replace with a t5 mh combo or just a t5ho fixture. I think with the tank being a smaller tank, everything would do great with a t5 only fixture, but i love the shimmer of the MH. I could always do a led, but thats out of my budget on this project lol.

xenia is abundant. Check into firefish. Some have quite a bit of pink

10001110101;636982 wrote:
pink-frogfish_ocellated.jpg
>http://naturescrusaders.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/pink-frogfish_ocellated.jpg</a>

yeah thats the fish I was talking about, I have seen them somewhere else as well, but not for 300. I saw one for 40 bucks on freshmarine.com. Im sure a sponsor could order one. I also think that it would "make" the tank though, being so vibrant and unique.

Update on the tank. It is fully cycled now, and has a new light. It has a 4 bulb HOT5 sundial fixture on it now. Ive had the frags in a basket in the tank for a week now and every things doing great, I would like to get a few more pieces and a variety before I glue any frags down. I won a $100 GC to Rits place at last months meeting so I will be stopping by soon to pick up some things for the tank. I still need a timer and a bigger HOB filter or HOB fuge.

Back