Radiant Wrasse Issue

mvm

Market
Reaction score
I picked up a radiant wrasse late last week at one of our sponsors. I never QT most fairy and flasher wrasse because of the stress involved, especially wrasse like the radiant that sleep in the sand. I put the fish in last week, and directly into the sand he went. I finally saw him up and about this AM, and he seems to have a swim bladder issue. His abdomen is a little swollen, and he's bouyant. Is it possible that this issue can correct itself, or is he doomed without proper treatment? He did eat a little. I do have a QT, but feel that this species does not fare well in QT.

I always use prazipro on all wrasses. It's reef safe, so you can use it in your display, but you'll have to turn off the skimmer and UV during treatment.

I don't know if this will cure the affliction you're experiencing or not, but it's worth a shot.

Yes, I have prazi, and use it on all wrasses as well. It's mainly used as a dewormer in wrasses as you probably know. I think this is more of a bacterial infection. At least that's what I though caused swim bladder issues.

MvM;580274 wrote: Yes, I have prazi, and use it on all wrasses as well. It's mainly used as a dewormer in wrasses as you probably know. I think this is more of a bacterial infection. At least that's what I though caused swim bladder issues.

Yeah, but I believe it also does have an effect on bacterial infections..I know paraguard does and that's Seachem's "version" of prazi..

If it's eating, you can always give it some Metro or Kanaplex with Focus. I do know that radiants will not last long unless they're treated immediately.

Good luck; that's a cool fish and I hope you can remedy the situation.

I'll soak some food in Metro when I get home. Thanks!

In my opinion, fish with legitimate swim bladder maladies do not recover. However, also in my opinion, too often swim bladder issues are confused with other issues, or are secondary, or tertiary to the original problems.

Although many disagree with me, i would NEVER add ANY fish without QT. I simply dont subscribe to the premise that QT will be more stressful. IMO, and IMO ONLY, a properly setup QT will provide an ideal qt setting, and will be less stressful for any fish. Simply adding a fish directly to the display is one fo the worst things to do to a fish that ahs been recently imported, IMO.

But, I know that is not so much your question, and doesnt help this issue. If you see buoyancy problems, I would try a med other than metro. Metro is good (and needs to be used with focus, otherwise it wont bind to the food), but as Raj said, Kanaplex would eb a good addition too.

This guy seems to have made a full recovery. No more swollen belly and he's swimming fine now!

MvM;580274 wrote: Yes, I have prazi, and use it on all wrasses as well. It's mainly used as a dewormer in wrasses as you probably know. I think this is more of a bacterial infection. At least that's what I though caused swim bladder issues.
Read, Ralph. :thumbs:
As you know, wrasse are notiorious for worms/internal parasites. Prazi is reef safe and great treatment for wrasse that don't do well in QT. Go Trojans!

attachment.php

MvM;585490 wrote: Read, Ralph. :thumbs:
As you know, wrasse are notiorious for worms/internal parasites. Prazi is reef safe and great treatment for wrasse that don't do well in QT. Go Trojans!

To me, that is unclear as to whether you treated or not.........

attachment.php

Back