Radion G4

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Well, looks like the G4 is ready to go.
It's not for me, but I thought some folks here may find it interesting
Here's the link

http://m.marinedepot.com/products/em58701/ecotech-marine-radion-xr30w-gen4-led-light-fixture">http://m.marinedepot.com/products/em58701/ecotech-marine-radion-xr30w-gen4-led-light-fixture</a>

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

sometimes I can't belive the premium they charge from regular to pro. they added warm white and uv to the pro and slap on a $150. I'm sure they are the gold standard when it comes to LED and offer amazing customer service. but they are already charging so much for a single fixture. shaking my head

hzheng33;1094246 wrote: also, I read somewhere that gen3 cannot be upgraded to g4. if I'm wrong, someone correct me on that but if true, what the hell?

This is correct. I don't have too much information on that yet. But as of right now I'm being told they are not up-gradable. From my understanding they changed something on the new Gen4 units that does not allow upgrade-ability. Also the upgrade might be more complicated then previously and they didn't feel it was a good idea to have end consumers upgrading units.

4 SB 16" Basic's, 2 Kessil A160WE w/Goose necks, cables for Apex & interconnection and 2 LET 60" retrofits. All combined cost far less that 2 Gen 4's. Granted the Kessil's and LET's were bought used.

Yes, you get a lot of control and I'm sure these are the pinnacle of reef lighting but I just can't see spending the $3200 it would take to light my tank using Pro's.

anit77;1094260 wrote: 4 SB 16" Basic's, 2 Kessil A160WE w/Goose necks, cables for Apex & interconnection and 2 LET 60" retrofits. All combined cost far less that 2 Gen 4's. Granted the Kessil's and LET's were bought used.

Yes, you get a lot of control and I'm sure these are the pinnacle of reef lighting but I just can't see spending the $3200 it would take to light my tank using Pro's.

Well keep in mind 90% of the people won't even be able crank the regular units past 70% power... so do you really think you would need Pros?

Plus arguably 4x XR15wPro units would out preform the setup you have listed above... so not really fair to compare what you have price wise to XR30w Pro units...

Wasn't meant as a comparison. I'm sure the Radion's are much better than what I have. But do you need them to be successful?

anit77;1094267 wrote: Wasn't meant as a comparison. I'm sure the Radion's are much better than what I have. But do you need them to be successful?

Absolutely not! I've seen reef tanks grown under pure sunlight and no artificial lighting at all look better then some tanks running Radions.

so, based on what i have watched and read, i can't seem to find the coverage of the G4, esp since the biggest selling point of this generation is the uniformity of the light spread and maybe some other bonus add-ons.

what is the coverage of the G3? G4? Kessil A160W? and Kessil A360W?

hzheng33;1094269 wrote: so, based on what i have watched and read, i can't seem to find the coverage of the G4, esp since the biggest selling point of this generation is the uniformity of the light spread and maybe some other bonus add-ons.

24"x24"

hzheng33;1094269 wrote: so, based on what i have watched and read, i can't seem to find the coverage of the G4, esp since the biggest selling point of this generation is the uniformity of the light spread and maybe some other bonus add-ons.

I'm guessing the box will still probably say 24x24 just like the previous units. Just the light will be spread more uniformly through out the 24"x24" area. Less "LED shading" and shadowing effects. But technically with the new lenses they should be closer to 30x30 or 36x36 spread depending on how high you have them setup. Here is a picture comparing G1, G2, and now the G4 lenses...

radion-g4-led-lens-reflector-tir-hei_zpshaaqijrd.jpg
alt="" /></a>

My experience with radions didn't last a long time, but I did have my hands on them a while. Overall they are really nice. There is a LOT of control, and thus their downfall for so many reefers that like to tinker.
Yes thats a blanket statement, but for the cost of the unit they should be much easier to dial in IMO.
NOW, do some people have a lot of success ..? sure they do, but ecotech is in the business of selling tech, not growing corals.
Some would argue that growing corals would up their business. I would disagree. Right now in the hobby all you have to do is produce the smoothest toy, and all kinds of people will purchase it based on the potential.
Im not anti radion by ANY means. they are really awesome lights.
I do wish they would have made the G3 upgradable for folks. Seems like a reasonable thing.
B

I read in a thread on one of the big forums that the upgrade is not possible because of the addition of the new leds. The G3 power supply is inadequate to provide enough juice to run the G4. G3 with T5 supplemental works for me.

I missed it in the Reef Builders post...

Reef Builders
"The housing of the Radion G4 LED is virtually identical to existing Radion lights and will therefore be compatible with all of Ecotech Marine’s accessories including the X-brackets and Radion Mounting System, and it will be fully controllable with EcoSmart Live. However, while the Radion G4 is superficially identical to previous Radions, the internals of the LED light have been completely reworked.

</em>The heatsink, motherboard, drivers, LEDs and especially the lenses are completely overhauled from the previous generation Radions and therefore you will not be able to upgrade to the fourth generation Radion. It is always a plus for aquarium companies to engineer their LED lights for backwards compatibility and we’ve been lucky to enjoy this for second and third generation Radion LED lights.</em>
However, a radical redesign in the Radion G4 has precluded any upgrade path from older Radions so if you want the latest and greatest LED light from Ecotech Marine you’ll have to buy a discreet new light."</em>

Good info. I've been looking at upgrading my office tank light and it looks like the g4 will be the one.

Back