radion question

matt7

Market
Reaction score
I currently have 4 radion units. I have 2 standard g2, a g1 that was upgraded to a g2 pro and a g3 pro- all XR30. These 4 will be going over a standard 120 and an 80 rimless. I have been looking and debating... with the new g4 xr15 they say they will cover a 24x24 cube with ease, so what would be better 2 of the g4 xr15 or a combination of 2 of the xr30s that I have?

info: 120 is 48x24x24 and will be a display tank mixed reef, 80 gallon is 48x24x16 and the right side will be a frag tank (24x24x16 area) and the left side will be a zoa garden and some LPS. The 80 will not be a display it is in the sump room.

Matt7;1104706 wrote: I currently have 4 radion units. I have 2 standard g2, a g1 that was upgraded to a g2 pro and a g3 pro- all XR30. These 4 will be going over a standard 120 and an 80 rimless. I have been looking and debating... with the new g4 xr15 they say they will cover a 24x24 cube with ease, so what would be better 2 of the g4 xr15 or a combination of 2 of the xr30s that I have?

info: 120 is 48x24x24 and will be a display tank mixed reef, 80 gallon is 48x24x16 and the right side will be a frag tank (24x24x16 area) and the left side will be a zoa garden and some LPS. The 80 will not be a display it is in the sump room.

I say if you already have the Radion XR30s then use those... why spend more money?

The only down side would be if you use a G2 and G3 over the same aquarium... either side of the aquarium will look slightly different. Some people absolutely hate that... others don't mind it.

I would sell the ones I have now, and price would be pretty even no matter what way I went. Just not sure which would be better... I mean obviously the g4 pros are the best lights but are they good enough to the point that 1 xr15 now beats out the g2 xr30?

Matt7;1104718 wrote: I would sell the ones I have now, and price would be pretty even no matter what way I went. Just not sure which would be better... I mean obviously the g4 pros are the best lights but are they good enough to the point that 1 xr15 now beats out the g2 xr30?

Ah I see. That is going to be a tough call and comparison. If you just comparing the 1 LED puck from the g4 XR15 to 1 puck from the g2 XR30 then yes absolutely the XR15 would be better choice... but the kicker is the g2 XR30 has 2 LED pucks... which might be better off then having 1 XR15. Don't really honestly know which would be the better way to go.

Maybe since you already have the g2 XR30w try that one out for a while and see how it does and worst case sell it and swap it if it doesn't work well enough for you.

I guess the main pluses of getting the new LED unit would be the new Hemispherical lenses and a fresh new warranty on the lights. But as I always tell everyone... Ecotech will not leave their customers hanging even well after the warranty period has ended so that might be a non-issue on the last part.

Are you going pure LED therefore the Radion's will be the only light source or will you supplement with T5? If radions will be the only light source I would go with two xr30's for the 120. 4 pucks win over 2 pucks in my book. Especially given the tank dimensions.

Now which combination of XR30's will depend on preference. I like my light uniform and can't stand color variations left from right. So I would pick the two with the most similar visible color output if you go mix and match.

Austin

At the moment the plan is just use the radions. My current 120 has the 2 g2s on it and it's grown pretty much anything i've wanted to grow well up to this point...

Well if I have learned one thing in this hobby it's if it isn't broke dont try to fix it. I have learned that "upgrading" doesn't always translate to more success ha. I wish I never sold my first 120 gallon tank to upgrade. This 125 gallon upgrade has been trying to say the least. A year + later and I think I am finally getting the same rate of growth I had in the 120. Battling high nitrates currently.

I say stick with the XR30's.

Yeah, i'm just switching tanks basically. 120 has new rocks but will have the same coral and fish from my 120 now just adding the frag tank and a new sump into the system.... i'm seeding with the filter sponges and a few pieces of rock hopefully that's enough to jump start it. Another option would be sell the g2 pro and get a g3 pro then put the g3 pros over the DT and the g2s over the frag?

That would be the way I would go. Sell the G2 pro and keep an eye out for another G3 Pro. I just bought 2 xr30w g3 pro's and love them. I need a third for my 6 foot tank.

I just found 2 used g3 xr30s for a decent price, however it would only be $50 more to get brand new xr15 g4s... tough choice... if they were the g3 pros i would go that way but how much better is the g3 pro from the standard g3??

From what I was told the pro is more beneficial if the tank is over 24" deep. That being said however I now have mine hanging over a 12" frag tank

So 120 is going to have 2 standard G3s. Frag tank decision is next. Here's a pic so you get a better idea of what I mean when I say frag tank on the right (more 18" frag, 30" tank than 50/50), mainly softies and some LPS on the left.

22994225-B0A1-433B-96A3-6894B21FC2C6_zpsnzbfszlf.jpg
alt="" /></a>

QUESTION: Use my 2 G2s XR30s or go G2 or G2 Pro on the left side and G4 XR15 over the frag section??

Back