Raise live brine

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
Another post made me think...This is a setup I have, a brine hatchery, hatched brine goes to a 2.5 w/airstone and phyto...about how long do you think it would take for them to grow large enough to be a valuable meal to my fish? Would it be within maybe a week or so, or would it just make more sense to purchase grown live brine.

stickx911;190749 wrote: Another post made me think...This is a setup I have, a brine hatchery, hatched brine goes to a 2.5 w/airstone and phyto...about how long do you think it would take for them to grow large enough to be a valuable meal to my fish? Would it be within maybe a week or so, or would it just make more sense to purchase grown live brine.

also, my house runs at about 76 degrees all day, should I add a heater to boost it the extra 2?

Check the info http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/blank/bl_DIY_Brine_Shrimp_Growing.htm">here</a>. Doesn't sound too difficult.

There are probably similar sites, but this is the first one I opened.

As I understand it, adult brine shrimp are fairly low in nutritional value. There's a window of less than a day when just hatched brine shrimp have nutritional value.

What were you planning to feed these to?

I did not know that..they were going to be a treat for my SW and FW fish, They were going to be the sole form of nutrition, but I think I may shut down that plan...They obviously like live food, so I may look into doing something different.

Well, they'd be a great item to load with vitamins, garlic, and other stuff then use as a treat.

brine shrimp are only worth anything within the first 24 hours of them hatching, after that they are basically just "empty calories" even though they are tiny your fish will have a nice snack, back when I had a discus tank i dumped about 1000 brine shrimp into it and my fishies were happy for a good 20 minutes

Back