Random RTN! WTF?

ouling

Market
Reaction score
Everything in my tank is the same. The Ca and DKH is a bit lower because I forgot to dose for a few days, but it is still at livable range, 300ppm :boo: :boo: and 6dkh:boo: , it's not great, but nothing should die at this range because sheet like this happens in my tank on a bimonthly basis due to my schedule.

pH 8.2 lights on -8.4lights off

Nitrate, PO4, everything else is 0.

All my other corals are extremely healthy, even the most sensitive valida colony and the table acro is extending polpys all the way out...

Why should a regular acro die when nothing changed?? it's been in my tank for a while now, longer than the table. Anyone had this kinda stuff happen to them before? Random suicide?

First make sure he is completely dead. I have seen stone white acros fight back. Second that kind of change can indeed kill him off. They like consistency. There are also critters like red bugs that can do one in. Flow and lighting are usually the culprit so I would check those first.

Dropping to 300 and 6 could easily cause RTN or at least bleaching if they are used to normal levels. Acros are much mouch more demanding then anything else. Consistant levels are just as important as right levels.

But like Cameron says first things to examione would be flow and lighting. They cause 90% if the issues.

one thing is probably too much flow. I already moved the thing too less flow and light, we'll see how it is when i go downstairs.

Generally speaking you can't really hit them with too much flow, but like all things there is a limit.

IN MY OWN WORTHLESS OPINION, swing in alkalinity particularly nwill cause RTN. As a clique rule of thumb, swings to high alk will cause tips to burn, and swings to low alk will cause RTN from the base. At least in my experience. JUST MY OPINION.

In my worthless opinion, I agree with Panda's worthless opinion. Didn't you just post last week about your alk being at 18 dkH? So in less then a week you have had a swing of 12 dkH? Ya that would cause RTN, in my limited SPS knowledge...

Check the flow - especially if only one colony is effected - I had one big colony starting having problems at home, only to notice that a Tunze had become encrusted with coraline (a little vinegar and good as new).

Also - do you have any softies nearby that might have gotten angry? Or sweeper tenticles of another coral?

Yea but I've been gone for a very long time from the tank. 18 is when i left, I purposely let the calcium go lower so I can get a higher alk. I rather have the calcium go low than the alk, but I guess it wasn't high enough, and my kalking wasser drip is only a few gallons... It's ok, just one acro, everything else is fine. I also think it's the alk swing.

Back